31. Launching Alexandria

Althea

I woke up to the screaming voice of Cheryl in my head.

"Today is the day Alexander will inaugurate Alexandria! Eeeeek yay!"

"Uh, Cheryl, I know. What do you think I was doing yesterday? They'd put me as a helper in some preparation, and now my feet's killing me." I groaned. It wasn't easy to run through the floors of the palace, helping people with flower decorations and whatnot.

"Cheer up Cors, I heard Alexandria will be the neighbouring city to Romanos. You are residing there, right?" she asked.

"Yep, the kingdom's ruler is a close friend of Alexander, so he's doing major works for the new city's celebration," I yawned, about to fall off the bed but steadied myself.

There was a reason I was sleeping at the edge of the huge bed.

"Which means we can meet? After such a long time, finally," she sighed.

"Be ready with my death grip hug," I giggled and slipped off the bed. We talked some more, after which we decided to wear the same colour clothes, for the ease of spotting each other.

I looked back at the bed and shuddered. It was giving me some serious creeps lately.

The probable image of us tangled in the centre made my knees weak and I collapsed on the floor.

These are some deranged, unholy, and lecherous thoughts. Oh God, have mercy on this poor child of yours! I chanted, shaking my head vigorously.

It was the reason. Every night I lay cuddled at the corner of the bed, instead of sleeping in the centre. I may appear to be a confident woman on the outside, but that was it.

I was a freaking kid inside.

Out in front of the palace, colourful bandanas hung from one corner to another, with flower chains hanging on them. A large crowd of men and women were spread across, everyone talking only about Alexander and his achievements.

It was stunning how the palace complex of Romanos was sprawled acres wide, joining the borders of Alexandria in the process. That's where the celebrations were going.

"I hope it becomes a great city someday, with help from you wonderful people! A toast to everyone who had been looking forward to this city!" Alexander jeered from the palace balcony, as everyone howled in amazement.

"Long live!"

"Alexandria!"

"Long Live!"

"Alexandria!" the crowd repeated after the newest pharaoh of Egypt.

"That's all I have to say. Kindly enjoy the feast and don't stop dreaming of a free world!" he gave one last shout and raised his goblet of wine, to down everything at one go.

I stood at the corner of the palace's entrance, watching the swarm of people buzzing around the grand feast. Julian was nowhere in sight since morning.

It was nerve-wracking to enter the crowd, given most of them looked drunk out of their mind. Some were stuffing food until they could no more.