30. The woManly doctor

"I don't know what I am without you." The man sighed happily as he counted the gold pieces, knowing they were more than the last time.

"It's my pleasure that I could be of any use to you," the young man replied with a slight smile.

"Any use? Oh good Lord, you are not a use, but a blessing to have! Otherwise, God knows those swindlers would've robbed me of all my goods till now," he exclaimed, separating one-third of the gold to give it to his helper.

Aarmen took the currency, making sure he didn't appear too excited. The place he currently resided in was a little cottage made of brick walls.

The walls were tried to be painted with a smoother mud which would help cool off the little area whenever it was splashed with water. After all, there weren't any fans around.

Though little, the cottage was separated in two by another wall to make a second room. The floor was covered with silted mud.

"I have listed the costs of wheat, grain and beer that you must sell to make maximum profit." Aarmen took out another scroll he had been preparing and showed it to the man.

"If it doesn't work, we'll look for other options. One should always be positive, Giorgus," The man couldn't help but move forward to hug him. He patted his back in approval.

"Such a gifted child you are. Why did your father throw you out of his house?" Giorgus asked gloomily. Aarmen's breath hitched, but he retained himself.

"He didn't like me studying mathematics and wanted to work with him in the fields. Of course, it's the duty of every son to help his father.

"I knew we could earn a lot through the studies I was doing, but... he never believed in me," Aarmen sighed, feeling genuinely guilty of saying such lies about his father when he was his best supporter.

"Don't feel terrible, son. If he doesn't, I surely know your worth. You are like a son I never had," Giorgus replied, who looked to be in his forties.

When others had set for different paths, Aarmen had thought of pretending to be Aristotle's student. Apparently, finding the father of biology wasn't a simple job, given the tons of old men who looked similar to him.

It was during his stroll when he had spotted this man, walking sadly with heavy sacks of grain, carrying everything on his own. He had felt instant pity and offered to lift some loads.

"Will you go to Euclid today? I was thinking it would be a fine day for Ismene to start her studies," Giorgus said hopefully.

"Yes, sure. I will be going, and Ismene is more than welcome. You are lucky to live in Egypt otherwise her being female, she would've been left out on basic education," Aarmen stated. He sensed the girl Ismene peeking shyly from the next room.

"It was the sole reason I left my hometown to come here. After my wife's death, I only had my daughter. She always hoped to study just like men, but the society is too oppressive that she never got a chance," he sighed.

"Father, don't. I will fulfil her wishes by studying hard," the girl meekly stepped into the room and hugged her father.

Ismene was old enough to be a university student, but it was only now that she got the opportunity to study.