26. The reward

Althea

The burn in my cheeks didn't cease to lessen, even after ten splashes of cold water. The burn whose cause had shifted from the Egyptian Sun to Julian.

Was he... Flirting?

I tapped my wet cheeks to get out of the dazed situation. Given the fact there wasn't a soul except us in this jungle turned me hotter than I was before.

Taking the leaf made bowl he'd handed, I dipped it in the water and drank some. The water was remarkably sweet, with all the plants growing near it, added their nutrients. Having surpassed the RO filters as well.

Julian was still standing atop the huge rock where we were before. The kohl around his eyes was gone after washing the face, but it did nothing to lessen his fire.

Instead, it had increased to ten folds.

His attention was trained on me and easily noticed my discreet ogle. Narrowing his eyes, he raised his million-dollar arms above the head and stretched sideways. Cracking his neck in the process all while staring down at me.

I closed my eyes and gulped the remaining water somehow.

Oh, Lord have mercy.

I had always preferred decent and morally upright men. What happened to my choice that I was choking for barbarian men?

I coughed softly, patting my chest for the heaving breath to go.

"You want to bathe in there or what?" I snapped out the thoughts to see him walking down the muddy path. 

"By the way, it would be a nice idea." Removing the now dried linen from his shoulder, he hung it on a protruding branch nearby.

"Shouldn't we take a bath? It's too hot," he asked casually, looking around the lake. My breath hitched.

Dread crept into me, not because of the possible will he was imposing, but the thrilling chaos that had started to circulate inside me.

Why the heck am I fantasising about this bath already?

He wasn't forcing me to do this, but his suggestive mood, a bit of the I'll-make-this-experience-an-ecstasy-for-you undertone, got a risky desire boiling in my blood.

All thanks to zero experience in men and fantasy novels.

I turned the slightest to see the lake. There wasn't a doubt I would be in the waters with a single push of his hand.
Was I really considering his offer? After all, it was so hot right?

Angel Coretta slapped Devil Coretta out of nowhere.

"Uh... I don't have any other cloth except this one," I mumbled, fumbling with the only linen I wore.

"You are giving me the benefit of doubt there, Althea," he chuckled lowly, trudging a step closer.

"We have plenty of clothes if you want to change," he offered. My heart continued to beat out of the chest.

"Moreover, aren't you already wearing that thing underneath?" he pointed to my shoulder, entertained by the sight alone. I turned my neck to stare in horror at the strap peaking again.

"Oh- Uh, it's nothing." I tucked it back under the linen, blushing profusely.

"Hm, so your decision?" he asked, folding his arms around the chest. I looked up to see any signs of ill intention but found none behind the genuine look he was giving.

GO GO GOOOOOOO! It's so hot, you'll be a puddle of sweat till you reach Romanos. And then everyone would run away from you. HAHAHAHA, Devil Coretta screeched.