Chapter 16- Execution

"Chengmei, the king and queen are asking for Prince Xingchen," Yanli said.
  "Oh really?" Xingchen asked, "Then I should get going, let's go Chengmei." Xue Yang nodded and walked behind the man in white to the main room. They bowed to Xingchen's parents and Xingchen smiled, "Mother, father, do you need anything?"
    "Yes we have terrible news," the queen said.
    "What is it?" Xingchen asked concerned.
    "Princess Mingmei was attacked by the gang and her baby was lost," the woman said sadly.
    "Really?" Xingchen asked glancing at Xue Yang who hid a smile, "Well, do you know who did it?"
    "I'm afraid we don't," his father said, "but I do know that those gang members are going to die."
   "What do you mean?" Xingchen asked, "Are you going to...?" He trailed off and his father nodded.
   "We are going to execute them," his mother said.
    "But you can't kill all of them!" Xingchen protested, "Shouldn't you kill the one who killed the baby only?!"
   "We would, but since we don't know who it is we must kill all of them," she said sternly.
    "Your majesty, please excuse me but me and Prince Xingchen went to the prisons a while ago and found a couple of young children. They couldn't be any older than 15, so I think we should be careful of who we kill and accuse," Xue Yang explained.
    "Why are there children in a gang?!" The woman asked.
     "One of them went with his friend who was killed, he was too scared to leave ever since. And they all seem to be terrified of their leader," Xue Yang said.
    "That doesn't give them the excuse," Xingchen's father said, "we must kill them all, children and adults!"
    "Father! How would you like it if your son was killed for something he didn't do?" Xingchen asked angrily.
    The man sighed, defeated, "Fine! We won't kill all of them. How will we know who is the murderer then?"
    "Easy, whoever sent them is the murder," Xue Yang said, "we can ask who sent them."
     The parents nodded, "Alright," Xingchen's mother said, "let's go then."
     They walked together to the prisons and met up with the men and women there, "A-Yuan is on of the children there," Xue Yang said gesturing for the boy to come towards him, "he is only 13."
    Xingchen nodded, "Wei Wuxian suggested that he and Wangji take care of him," he said.
    "Yeah!" Wei Ying exclaimed, "I always wanted a kid."
     "Alright," the queen said, "what about the others?"
     "A-Ling could go with Yanli and Zixuan," Xingchen said. "A-Yi can go with Jiang Cheng and Xichen, and a-Qing can come with me."
    "You want to take one if them?!" His mother asked.
    "I don't see why not," Xingchen replied, "I have Song Lan and Chengmei with me."
    The woman sighed, "Fine, now everyone listen up! I need to know something! Who sent you here?"
Everyone turned to her, they were silent and glancing at each other. Wen Ning know that his sister told him to say that Xue Yang sent them, but he couldn't do it, he couldn't betray his best friend. Yuan turned to Xue Yang, he whispered a "Can I?" To which Xue Yang nodded.
"It was Xue Yang," the boy announced, everyone looked at him in shock.
"Xue Yang? Why would be send you to kill Princess Mingmei? You better not be lying to me boy!" The woman yelled causing Yuan to flinch.
Xingchen stepped in front of the boy and glared at his mother, "Please don't yell at him," he said, "and also why would he lie?"
The woman huffed, "How do you know he's telling the truth?"
"Did you forget that I can tell if someone is telling lies?" Xingchen asked, "He isn't lying, Xue Yang sent them here."
"But why?" The queen asked.
"Maybe because he wants to end the bloodline here," Xingchen said, "I don't know."
The woman nodded slowly, "Fine, we won't kill them. We'll let them go only if they make an oath to not work for the gang anymore."
"Of course," Xingchen said, "I can handle this if you'd like."
"Please do, I'm still a bit upset over the fact that your baby was murdered," the woman dramatically said.
"Yes mother," Xingchen said rolling his eyes mentally. He led his mother away and came back with a smile, "Chengmei, tell whoever killed the baby thank you," he whispered.
"Sure," Xue Yang said, "by the way since we're on better terms I have a plan. I can't tell you what it is but I promise it will be good."
"Why can't you tell me?" Xingchen asked, his eyebrows furrowing.
"Because I can't," Xue Yang said, "now go to your mother, I'll handle things over here."
Xingchen sighed, "Fine, I'll see you later then."
"Yeah," Xue Yang watched the man walk away and then turned to his gang, "guys you did fantastic."
Everyone sighed in relief, and Jin Ling went up to him, "Why were you talking to the prince so casually?" He asked.
"Let's just say we became a bit close over time," Xue Yang said, ruffling the boy's hair.
"Are you sure?" Jin Ling asked crossing his arms.
"Yes, now go to Wen Ning, he'll take you to a guard and tell them that you are being taken care of my Princess Yanli and Prince Zixuan," Xue Yang said. Jin Ling nodded reluctantly and walked over to the man in black.
Xue Yang went to another boy, "A-Yi, you're going with Prince Cheng and Prince Xichen."
"Why?" Jingyi asked.
"Because I don't want you getting blamed for something you didn't do," Xue Yang merely said.
Jingyi thought for a moment before nodding, "Fine, but I'll come see you again alright?"
"Alright, now go," Xue Yang said softly shoving the boy. Jingyi walked to Wen Ning and Jin Ling and they seemed to be talking for a while, Xue Yang wondered if they were saying their goodbyes.
He smiled when they hugged softly and walked away, he went to a window and gazed at the sky. He hoped Wen Qing was at peace now, and happier than she was before.