Chapter 8- Mingmei

"What do you mean I'm getting married?! To who?!" Xingchen said loudly.
"Her name is Mingmei, she is a cousin of the Jiang's," his mother said, "she is arriving tomorrow and the wedding will be in a couple of weeks maybe a month."
"Mama, I'm too young to get married," Xingchen said, "besides, if I get married I want to get married to someone I love."
"Son, you'll learn to love her. And you will get married whether you like it or not," his father said.
Xingchen looked into their eyes desperately but saw nothing, he sighed defeatedly, "Fine, I'll marry her."
"Wonderful!" His mother exclaimed, "I'll get ready in the wedding plans, you go take a rest for now."
Xingchen nodded and left the room his head low, what am I supposed to do now? I can't marry a random girl. He went to the dinning room where Xue Yang was sitting, he smiled softly and walked over, "Chengmei, are you ready to go?"
The man turned around and stood up, "Yes, let's go." They walked away and went to the garden, they laid down on the soft grass beneath a tree, surrounded by flowers.
"What where they talking to you about?" Xue Yang asked.
"Nothing, it's fine," Xingchen said.
"It didn't seem like nothing, you looked a bit weird when you came back. What happened?" Xue Yang said.
"They just said something surprising, that's all," Xingchen said smiling softly at the man. He cuddled close to the man and smelled the sweet smell of Xue Yang, he smelled like sweet and sour candies. While Xingchen smelled of lavender and vanilla.
"Alright, well I heard that the Jiang Kingdom is coming back to visit. I got along with Wei Wuxian and I hope to see him again," Xue Yang said.
"Really? I hope he comes too," Xingchen said with closed eyes.
"Hey, are you sure it was nothing? You just seem off and...not okay, I don't know!" Xue Yang said.
Xingchen chuckled, "I'm fine, just tired that's all. Being crown prince isn't easy you know?"
"Fair enough."

"And this is Princess Mingmei," king Jiang said. The young woman in purple bowed respectfully.
"A pleasure meeting you Prince Xingchen," she said in a soft, innocent voice. Xingchen knew already that he wouldn't like her, she seemed too delicate and he didn't want to be careful around someone he wanted to be himself.
"The pleasure is all mine," Xingchen said bowing back, "I must say you are very beautiful, would you like to go for a stroll or would you like something to eat?"
"A stroll would be nice," Mingmei said. Xingchen nodded and walked away to the garden, the woman following him. He walked into the garden and saw Xue Yang sitting down at the bench looking at the flowers, with a book in hand.
He smiled widely, "Chengmei!" He called out, earning the attention of the man. Xue Yang turned around and smiled as Xingchen walked up to him, not minding the woman.
"Xingchen, do you need something?" Xue Yang asked putting an arm around the man's waist.
"No, I just came for a stroll with Princess Mingmei," he replied.
Xue Yang looked back and noticed the young woman, he quickly let go of Xingchen and cleared his throat, "Uh-uhm, a pleasure meeting you."
"Shouldn't servants know their place? Why are you grabbing the prince's waist like that?" Mingmei said.
"I'm not a servant though, I'm Xingchen's assistant. So I can, in fact, be grabbing his waist," Xue Yang said.
The woman huffed, "Your majesty, do you really allow such behavior here? Look at him he's talking back to me, a princess!"
"I am only speaking the truth," Xue Yang said.
"Alright, alright, stop arguing please. Princess, Xue Yang is correct, he hasn't talked back but merely stating facts," Xingchen said calmly, "now let's end this argument here."
"Of course, your majesty, you are wise and very calm and collected. I'm sure we'll get along," Mingmei said walking away.
"Xingchen, do you need me to kill her for you?" Xue Yang asked.
"No! But just keep in mind to try to not pick arguments anymore, alright darling," Xingchen replied softly.
Xue Yang scoffed, "Fine, I'm going to go to Wei Wuxian alright? I haven't seen him in a while and you seem to busy."
"Alright, be careful," Xingchen said and Xue Yang nodded.
Xue Yang walked away leaving Xingchen alone who sighed. Xingchen walked back to the woman who was sitting down, he saw her staring at a flower and went over and picked it. "Do you like this flower?"
She nodded, "Yes."
"Here, take it. It symbolizes friendship, good fortune, and prosperity," Xingchen said giving her the flower, "take it as a gift from me. You are now my friend and I hope to be friends with you fir years to come."
The woman turned a bright pink and smiled, "Thank you, your majesty. But aren't we going to get married? Should you consider me as your lover and not your friend?"
Xingchen sat down, "I want to get married to someone I love, not a friend. But it is my parents wish that I marry now and their only option was you."
Mingmei looked down, "Oh."
"I apologize, but I don't think I could ever love you in that way," Xingchen said.
"No, it's alright. I'm sure you have your reasons," she said with a hidden frown.
"Thank you for being understanding, now I must go and get ready for practice. Farewell Princess Mingmei," Xingchen bowed and left the scene.
Mingmei looked at the flower he gave her and crushed it in her palm, "I don't care if you don't love me," she whispered, "I'll make you love me."