CHAPTER EIGHT

Michelle POV

I have been working here for three months now and have learnt a lot. It's all thanks to Mrs Mary, she has been understanding, whenever I make mistakes like dropping drinks on customers, loosing my temper and all, but she never fired me but advice me on patience. The girls here are fun but not my kind of crowd. Am already getting use to this city, the traffic no longer bothers me,the  busy and fast life here is becoming really interesting.
     Am really happy going to work today because I've missed the aroma a of the bakings, I really need to be busy not to think much about  two months ago in this same neighborhood. When coming today i noticed we seem to have gotten a new neighbor . I saw the movers carrying things next door. Mmmmm I don't care ooo the last neighbor was a bitch . ( back to baking and work). I really love baking ,I used to help my mom to bake and decorate weddings, birthday and co cakes. I like well equipped kitchens it gives me joy. Whenever am stressed  and bothered about something, I use to keep myself busy by baking . yesterday after work I discovered the chief chef just quit last night without  the normal two weeks notices because of some family issues.
Getting to the diner, I a couple leaving Mrs Mary's office looking very happy while Mary came out  looking like she wanted to cry. I really don't want to know but I had to ask anyways. I have my own unhappy thought too. I don't need more  but I still asked her " what happened in here"?.

" I promised this couple that we will bake their wedding cake and its in one week " and there is nobody to bake their cake ". She scream. Oh no she did not just scream now ,am not in a happy mood myself, why she accept it I don't know maybe she doesn't know how to say to beautiful couples.
" oh ma'am , it is not that hard, you get them when you upload a notice of chef vacancy online and we'll write on the black  board outside." I told her gently.
" am sure you will get one before or on Friday". I added to make it better I hope. Wow people are really interesting, how is it possible for a strong woman like her to be a mess under pressure , maybe because she pregnant. I pity her but not enough to tell her an excellent baker . She might think I don't care but want to use this opportunity for a promotion although that wouldn't be a bad thing but I don't want to work here forever. I don't think it will be too much to say  people always praise whatever comes out of my kitchen. Before closing we received more than three resumes sent to us ,then we informed them that the interview will be in two days.

The next day

It haven't been easy working without the chief chef for two days , it seems like the junior kitchen staff can't operate without a leader. When I got to work on the day of the interview, Mrs Mary was already there with the interviewees  and almost done, after that section she told me they are not qualified enough. I don't understand her at all, she is desperate but not willing to settle for less than what she wants.

During lunch time its always packed because the diner is located at a very good site in midtown Manhattan which is the largest central business district in the world . the majority of new York city skyscrapers including its tallest hotels and apartment towers are located here in midtown. But the kitchen can't do everything and you know how the rich behave at times .especially they were getting inpatient,  waiting for too long. I couldn't take it any more I decided to tell Mrs Mary. I went to her office and knocked" yes come in " she said from inside.  I opened the door and enter her office.
" oh Mich, what can I do for you?"" ,it is really busy out there". She said hurriedly.  I immediately went straight to the point" ma'am I think I know a way to make thing function very well today" I told her without blinking my eyes. " yessss, go on" she said, while nodding her head . " I can help  in the kitchen am a good cook and I bake really well, the work load in too much on  them and they are shorthanded ". she immediately left what she was doing in her computer before I came in.

And she immediately stood up from her chair and rush to where I was stand close to the door brag my shoulders and she ask" can you really do that for me" her eyes already tearing up. " yes, I can and will do more if am  been given the opportunity ". I replied and she looked shocked and surprised. Why surprised? I asked myself she employed me with any work experience and has been very understanding ever since .why wouldn't I do the same or more for her ?.  " wow Michelle, thank you ,but before you do anything I will have to test you by tasting you goodies , no offense pls it just for business sake and it a protocol". She said with her eyes pleading for me to understand. I laughed. It is funny but when am done she will be speaking a different language. She took me to the kitchen and informed those there ,she wants me to prepare something for her.
" Mich what are doing here"? Mike asked surprised to see me here.
mike is funny guy and a flirt .mike been who he is, had asked me out a couple of times.

" I want to bake something for Mrs Mary" and don't ask what yet because I don't know. Am still contemplating.
" wait are you on test ,don't worry just prepare anything am sure it will taste good".  He encouraged me.

" Thanks mike" i smiled and he returned my smile by  smiling too and rush off to continue what he was doing before  Mrs Mary called him.  It only took me thirty minutes to prepare " pies , biscuits and chocolate and milky cookies. Immediately took them to her office , I knocked she answered immediately, once saw me with the cookies she fled from her seat" Mmmm , yummy please tell all this sweet aroma is coming from these." Pointing at the treats.

I nodded and she took a huge bite from the cookies" my God, what is this?"". She gave me a look of wonder " it tastes really good". She moaned out. " you need to go professional ". Setting aside the coffee cup which is now empty ." ma'am I think you've had enough coffee for today ,I will bring milk for you or chocolate drink ". " okay" she said and drag the plate closer and continue to eat in earnest. "You've got a gift" she told me.
" You really think so"?. I pressed, barely able to suppress her enthusiastic reaction. Rather than answer verbally, she just nodded .she was busy polishing off the rest off the of food. As she ate an idea came to her. She ordered me to bake the wedding cake for those couples. She looked happy with her idea and me ,but I was shocked and not so confident again. Baking small things like small cakes,biscuit, cookies, crostata and others, does not mean I can bake a wedding that big and decorate it too. I frowned slightly not really sure about this." You really want me to bake the wedding cake don't you"? I asked her.
" yes dear" .looking triumph , I don't understand. when  did this becomes a competition?.
"With what I just tasted, I knew immediately that you can do it even better than others here". She added quickly.
" what about my position as the waitress "?. I asked not really sure how this thing would work out with me as a baker and a waitress at the same time.
" oh about that leave it to me, I will get I new waitress to replace for the main time, till i get a new chief baker but that wouldn't be now ". She smile warmly at me. " .
" that sounds great" I return to exit her office but I stopped when I heard my name " Mich , thank you really". I smiled " you are welcome ma'am ".
I left her office  ,going straight to my coworkers to tell them about my promotion , on entering the the diner main hall, standing off to the  of the main counter and trying to keep out of the way of a steady stream of customers , this group of young people  are her to eat and continue their busy schedule with our famous treats. It always busy during lunch time full with working class people. I saw they were busy I left  for the kitchen.  I was busy till the closing hour.
  I went to the locker room to change there I told them about it. Some were happy while others didn't envy me at all because the hate kitchen. I could not wait for them to clean up, I was so tired that I took a cab not train which is cheaper. When I got home I was already winding down after a long day at work . my body sagged with fatigue, arms unable to rise above my waist and my head dropped in eagerness to met my bed . of course I was eager in turn to meet my head's throbbing expectation, leaping into my bed to a night long and full to eventful and flower likes dreams. Not thinking about the identity of our new neighbor.

---