Better Than Nothing

Start from the beginning

"What?" You ask with a small smile.

"Nothing," he says turning his attention back to the paper. "I just haven't seen you this happy for a long time"

You feel your smile grow, realizing that you haven't felt this happy in a long time.

"I'm happy for you kiddo," he says. "You and Dean are an obnoxiously cute pair"

"Thanks," you say blushing.

***Time Skip***

After a day of interviews with witnesses that stated they saw a red van drive away from the general area, you decided to go search for this red van. Dean made another circle around a neighborhood while Sam was on the lookout and you were researching for more information in the back seat.

"Nothing about a red van, but a couple of years ago in Maine several people said they saw a pink Volkswagon"

"Gross" Dean says while pulling a face.

"So we know this thing uses different cars, comes every other year, and essentially hunts for 2 weeks in the same 50-mile hunting grounds, and that people don't come back" Sam sums up. "Great," he says sarcastically.

"Hey, something will come up, alright Sammy?" Dean says looking at his brother.

"Guys!" Sam says pointing down one of the side streets we were passing. You look out your window to see a red van parked along the side of an empty road. Dean turns the car around and parks behind it as all of you get out. Sam checks the front while Dean keeps watching for possible onlookers as you unlock the back doors. Once they open you see the blood-stained interior.

"Well, I think this is the right van," you say climbing inside to get a better look around.

"Whoa whoa whoa," Dean says as Sam looks around for any pedestrians. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Taking a look," you say looking in the crevasse between the back seats and the trunk. You pull out some gloves you had in your pocket and grab what seems to be -

"Is that a liver?" Sam asks with disgust on his face.

"Takes a whole new meaning of gutting a car," you say chuckling, as the boys both look like they might throw up.

"Come on that was a good joke," you say smiling and rolling your eyes.

You set the liver back down and climb out of the van. "So it doesn't like liver." Sam states.

"Bobby's neighbor Marcy doesn't like it either. Not super helpful" You say a little grumpy. "Any EMF?"

"I checked there was none," Sam says.

"So not a haunted van" Dean states.

You all get back into the car staring at the van in front of you. You could tell the boys were lost in thought and for a while, you were too, but then you felt your stomach growl.

"Guys lets get some lunch I'm starving"

"You can eat after that?" Sam asks turning to see you with a chuckle.

"As long as we don't go to a liver bar I'm down," you say turning to Dean.

He just chuckles and puts the car in drive. You watch as the red van passes and you can't help but stare. It was strange because nothing felt weird about the van. It was perfectly normal aside from the interior decorating, but something wasn't sitting right.

***

After lunch, you three decided you would go find a spot to park down the street from the van and watch for any activity. Currently, nothing was happening. Just like the nothing that had been happening for the past 4 hours. You originally went searching online for different theories for what this could be but when there were literally thousands of possibilities to sift through so you decided to hand the laptop to Sam so that you could take a break. Sam and Dean told stories about their childhood while you listened contently, but after a while the car got quiet and Dean looked like he was asleep. You watched the van as Sam continued to sift but decided you needed to physically do something so started braiding Sam's hair.