Chapter 2: Choice

"Uh... I..." Blaze stuttered nervously. The blood pounded a demanding rythm that seemed to speed up and drum harder with each passing moment. If he let them drop his sister, obviously, she would die. And if he let them take her, Drago Bludvist would probably just kill her. But if he didn't kill her, would he want her to live a potentially evil life infuinced greatly by Drago? She was very powerful, and her powers would only grow... If Drago used her...  she would be a threat to everybody... 

        "But I don't know that..." Blaze whispered to himself without even realizing that the words escaped his lips. "I have to give her her best chance..." He couldn't let his little sister die because of his choice. He couldn't kill her.

        "Time's up!" 

        "No, wait! You can take her..." hot tears blurred his vision as his body shook with fear. Emma burst into tears as the man returned her feet to the ground, keeping a firm hold of the back of her neck.

        "Bubba! Bubba!" she sobbed, struggling to get away.  Then, she pushed on the air infront of her,  pushing her hands forward, causing  a purple dome of pressure to blast the man away from her. She ran towards her brother. The man  dabbed a finger at the bleeding spot on his brow. He growled before jumping up and ran towards the stumbling toddler. He grabbed the back of her shirt and yanked her back, causing her to fall to the ground beside him. He balled his right hand into a fist so tight, that his knuckes turned white, ready to punch Emma in the face.

        "No, don't!" Blaze pleaded, running up to them. "I'm sorry! she doesn't know how to control it and she was just scared!" In his anger, the man hit Blaze in the chest, pushing him too, to the ground with a painful thud. He then cluthed the front of Blaze's shirt and picked him up by the front of his shirt, his feet a couple of feet off of the ground.

        "Who are you, Boy, and why do you know so much about this girl?" he demanded harshly. Blaze breathed in shaky, gulps of air.

        "I'm--I'm her brother," he confessed shakily. "and... and I'd do anything for her." The man stared coldly into Blaze's eyes. By his uneasy silence Blaze suspected that the man was thinking of an own lost sister. The man continued to hold Blaze in the air and continued to stare him down. Then he threw Blaze down on his back. The man stiffened and something in his eyes hardened, like a door slammed in your face.

          "You're lucky that I don't kill you, Boy. You will never see your sister again. So just forget about her!--"

        "--Never..." Blaze immidiately retorted softly.

        "Excuse me?" the man cautioned threateningly, knealing down to make himself level with the boy. "I said forget about her!" he growled.

        "Never!"  Blaze screamed, sobbing, but too prideful to lock his gaze anywhere other than the man's stone eyes. The viking pursed his lips in anger and ground his teeth together. He continued to stare at the boy, who was still on the ground leaning against his hands. Who did this boy think he was, talking to him like that? In complete anger, he slapped Blaze across the face, turning his pale, freckled cheak red. Blaze stuggled to hide another sob as he slowly returned his glare to the man.

        "Bubba!" Emma screamed at the attack towards her brother. The other man, whom had been quiet so far, restrained the girl who was uselessly thrashing to get away. 

        In silence the larger viking hovered over Blaze. His mind was full of angry threats to shove down the boy's throat, and he was having trouble picking one. "You seem to be forgetting," His voice sounded angry and anxious when he spoke quietly to Blaze. "That I could walk over there," he pointed a finger in Blaze's face for emphasis. "And snap that little girl's neck, right now. You will show me some respect!" he jabbed a finger at the boy's chest. Blaze continued to glare.

        "Why should I respect a coward?"  The man smacked a much harder blow to Blaze's face this time, causing him to groan in pain.

        "We'll take him too; sell 'im to Drago as a slave," He stated coldly. He ripped Blaze up from the ground and put the tip of his sword to his back threateningly. "The boat is up ahead. Walk." he demanded. Blaze took a few steps, then stopped. He shot a glare towards the larger viking, then walked over to the other who was holding Emma's arm. He ripped Emma out of his grip with a glare and picked his sister up. The other man wasted no time in returning his sword to Blaze's back "I said, move!"

        "I'm goin', I'm goin'..." Blaze mumbled, carrying his sister, who once again cried into his shoulder, hugging him tightly. She began to sob louder, audibly convulsing.

        "Shut her up, will you?" The "quiet" viking growled.

        "Shhh... Emma, it's okay. I'm here--Bubba's here," he warbled soothlingly. "Emmy, it's alright, everything's going to be alright, okay? Shhh... You're safe, I've got you..." Blaze's brown hair sparkled under the sunlight as they continued to walk, their steps crunching leaves as they went. Blaze stubbornly ignored the sword against his back and continued to comfort his sister. 

        Blaze squinted against the sunlight and made out a large boat on golden sand, the turquoise waves lapping against it. The calming rhythm of the sea calmed Emma, and she soon fell asleep in her brother's arms. The leaves and grass on the ground faded into the hot sand.

        They had reached the boat.