Chapter 19: The Plan

Hiccup's POV:

We've kept Emma hidden for about a week, now. But something really bizarre happened: after Emma and I had that weird pain in our heads, she's been able to talk to Toothless—and since it happened to me as well, I can talk to Toothless.

I can't understand him as well as Emma can, but I'm getting better at it. Besides, it's not like we've ever needed words to communicate. Toothless and I are one, whether we can talk or not.

I shake my head, clearing the fog from my mind as Emma waved a hand infront of my face to gain my attention.

"Hiccup?"

"Y-yah? Wha-Ah, I'm back, uh... huh?" I stuttered. Emma errupted in a contageous giggle and a glowing smile spread across her pale, freckled face.

She  picked up a piece of paper. "What does this say?" she asked. She's been having me read everything to her lately. I read her the notes that I had scribbled on the page the day before, regarding a way to make new, more efficient weapons. I had been teaching Emma to read all week—or at least trying to. She didn't always understand, but she was trying hard and picked up how to read a few words.

Every once in a while, there was a gleam in her eye. The way she looks at me... She trusts me, and I'm afraid of letting her down.

I opened my mouth to talk to her some more, when I heard heavy footsteps. "Gobber's coming, get down!" I shoved her under my desk andpractically threw the chair to cover the hole. A moment later, the blonde viking strutted in.

"Who were 'ya talkin' to?" He arched his brow at me. I felt my face go white. Oh Thor, I'm terrible at lying!

"Uh, I—was—a... talking... to... myself." I mentally face-palmed. Why was I so stupid? Why couldn't I lie with a straight face?? My head shot down and my eyes were glued to the floor. I made it my number one priority to use the tip of my book to scrape some dried paint on the floor.

"Uh-huh."Gobber nodded, with fake belief. "Hiccup... What's goin' on 'ere?"

I shrugged and made an innocent 'hmm?' sound, continuing to kick the dried paint. Anything but looking into Gobber's accusing grey eyes. "Nothing's-going-on-why-did-you-wanna-see-me?" I blurted in one breath. Gobber rolled his eyes and gave up.

"I wanted to talk about the Darkstalker again." I couldn't see Emma, but I pictured her flinching in my mind.

I stayed silent for a few long seconds before blurting, "What about her?"

"Mulch says 'e say 'er last night coming from the great hall! He said she had a scarf over her birthmark, but the wind blew it off. She's here Hiccup! Right among us! She has a disguise—we could've seen her and not even KNOW it!" I started getting nervous. Oh, Thor, why me? "Have you seen any strangers lately—"

"—Nope." I slightly cut him off. Ugh. Idiot, why did I do that? That's not suspicious at all!

"Alright, well, we're having a Great Hall meeting tonight. The whole village is going to be there, and then we'll just look for a stranger than. And if she doesn't come, then it won't be hard to spot her in the empty village, now would it?" Oh, come on! WHY???

I gave a nervous laugh and scratched the back of my head. I noticed that I was rocking on the balls of my feet and I stopped abruptly, "covering it up" with a not-at-all-suspicious-smile. "Ok, well, bye then!" I pushed Gobber out of the room and shut the door.

 What are we going to do?!

***Sorry, this chapter is short, but hey, two chapters two days in a row!! Okay, actually, all my chapters are short... I can't get myself to write more than 1,400 words ish. Sorry haha. This one is extra short. :P I'll shut up now xD"