Chapter 21: Crimson

***Only a few more chapters before I start the sequel! *squeee!* Can I get a "FLIP YEAH!!" ***

I climbed a tree with practiced ease. I sat down, my feet dangling from a branch, as I watched Eret walking away. I stared at him until he was no longer in sight, then leaned back against another branch and sighed.

Eret almost killed me.

  Almost.

Why didn't he? It couldn't have been because of the 'favor' he wanted from me, because if he'd already had something in mind, then he would have told me right then. But he said a favor in the future. So he doesn't even know what he wants from me, yet he let me bargain with my life for it...

Strange...

I looked up at the setting sun. Amber rays sifted through the trees' foliage, and the sun was in the middle of the sky. I watched the glowing colors swirl and dance on the horizon. The meeting must be going on now.

Worried thoughts flashed through my head. What if Hiccup and the others didn't get back in time? What if they stayed out looking for me?

Then, a twig snapped somewhere below me and to my left. My gaze shot to the source of the sound: a group of vikings, led by Gobber. Looking for me.

I slowly lifted my dangling feet to the branch that I was sitting on, and to my horror, purple swirls branched off from where my shoes touched. They spiraled and began to vine down the base of the tree! Gobber signaled for his men to stop and he pointed to the design. He put a finger to his mouth to shush them as he took in the still-growing pattern.

I slowly stood up on the creaking branch, as Gobber looked up. I took a breath and my heart stopped. I backed away, only being slightly visable. I took a risk, and climbed down the opposite side of the tree and quietly landed on the ground.

"She was here..." Gobber whispered. I closed my eyes and leaned against the back of the tree. I tried to slow my shuttered breathing, but I couldn't stop shaking. I took a step back, then, snap! A looked down at the snapped stick.

"Over there!" Gobber yelled. I waisted no time in abandoning my hiding spot and darting out into the open, away from the vikings. I heard the whizzing of several arrows. I screamed, and shoved a forcefield behind me, turning the arrows black as they clattered to the ground.

Battle cries paired with thundering footsteps seemed to be right behind me. I kept running and running and running.

I skillfully leapt over tree roots and logs as I went. Then I turned a corner, and came to an abrupt stop. A cliff stood before me. I turned around and saw myself surrounded.

"Stay back!" I yelled, moving my hand in a slight motion to force them back a step. They ignored my command, while several aimed more arrows at me. When they shot them, I used another forcefield, disintegrating the arrows into dust.

I rose my hand, an energy beam forming in my hand. But then I remembered Hiccup's words. "While Emma is capable of defending herself, she could hurt someone in the process. She would be dangerous if someone found her." He was right. I slowly closed my hand, the ball of energy disappearing.

"Please, I don't want to hurt anyone." I held my hands out in surrender. I even took a few steps toward them, but they backpeddled in response. I was a little confused by their reaction. "What, so, you're brave enough to chase me, but you cower at the thought of me chasing you?" No one responded.

"I know what you all think of me, but I am not a monster. I'm not here to hurt anyone. Don't you think if I were going to hurt you, I would have done it all ready?" They thought for a minute. "If I were going to hurt you, I wouldn't have run. I wouldn't have needed to run."