Chapter 18

The next morning, everyone has gathered at the hall again. Only that this time, the Older Lan had joined, taking the front place next to Xichen. However, he was not the only one as Zhouan's mother was also summoned, and she stood at the front while her daughter sat at the back.

Zhouan was quiet, stealing glancing at Xichen and Wangji. She was not fully aware of what happened, but she knew it had to do with Wuxian since she spotted Wangji returning all wet and with a defeated look on his face.

The fact that the two elder clan leaders were summoned for this meeting only proved how dire the situation was. She wasn't the only one to notice that, however.

The two clan leaders from yesterday, who seemed to favour gossiping about others sat across from them. They hadn't failed to notice the two new arrivals as they had a smug smirk on their faces.

"Even that seclusive old predecessor Lan came. I knew things would turn out this way."

His friend scoffed in amusement. "Why, the Lei clan leader over there. To drag her out, in any event, is very rare. Hope her opinions are not as biased as her daughter's"

"You are right. Let's see how it will end."

Everyone fell quiet when the Clan Leader Jin cleared his throat, drawing everyone's attention. He looked at everyone, his body not hiding the fact that he was tired both mentally and spiritually.

"Guangyao" he started, calling the name of his son who as per usual stood close to him. The young man turned to face him. "You, tell all clan leaders here, what Wei Wuxian did."

He gave a nod, swallowing the lump on his throat before turning to address the important cultivators behind the tables. "This time, in the Qiongqi Road, Wei Wuxian...he made Wei Ning into a puppet who killed a lot of people. There are 4 overseers killed, and about 50 remnants of Wen Clan fled. Having led them into the Burial Mounds, Wei Wuxian took the demon subdue palace of Xue Chonghai and set many barriers at the mountain's foot. Our people cannot step into the region"

There was a silence, followed by the tiniest of whispers. Wangji kept his face stoic, glancing at the middle of the room. He was there when Wuxian fled, doing nothing to stop him as he chose to save the Wen members but himself.

Zhouan closed her eyes for a moment, leaving the faintest of sigh and almost mimicking the face Xichen pulled on such occasions. Opening them again, she glanced at her fiancé who did the same, both unsure what to feel about the situation.

Still, the female cultivator felt pride in the actions of Wuxian regarding the release of the Wen members. Yet, his actions and method of approach might not have been as dramatic and dangerous as they were represented, but they ensured one thing.

He was officially an enemy to the cultivation world. A mark was on his back and soon a bounty on his head. She wasn't sure how to feel about that, knowing very well that any attempts from her side or Wangji's to defend him would be literally fruitless.

Her thoughts were disturbed when she spotted movement with the tip of her eye. Lifting her head slightly to be straight, her black eyes landed on the form of the now standing Cheng. He stood in the middle of the room, his anger flashing in his black eyes.

"On this matter, his methods were nowhere near proper. I apologise on behalf of him to Jin clan of Lanling" he bowed slightly. "If there is a remedy, please tell me directly. I will try my best to do it."

Zhouan felt the need to hide her face behind her sleeve, hearing those words. They were honest and perhaps appropriate, but Cheng should know that the only remedy, in this case, is to take care of Wuxian.