Chapter 33

Once inside, Wangji closed the doors to have some privacy and the three of them came face to face with...

None other than the Nie Clan Master. Jia stood next to Wangji, looking at the supposed clan leader, who shook and cowered at their arrival. With an eyebrow lifted, she realized why so many cultivators gossiped about him. His face was still very childlike, making him look much younger than he was.

Instead of a sword, he held a hand fan just as her mother had described him when she was narrating the stories of her past. She waited for Wangji to close both doors, still supporting Wuxian before also turning to face their honoured guests.

Seeing him once again, and perhaps after being scared enough before being brought to a room, he started to repeat the very same phrase he was known for.

"I do not know. I do not know...I do not know...I do not know anything" his voice almost cracked, showing pure fear as he hid most of his face behind his hand fun.

Jia helped her uncle to settle Wuxian on a pillow, opposite the scared Clan Leader, with the square wooden table separating them. She then stood from one side, trying her best to keep her face as neutral as possible; mimicking her uncle so to speak. Of course, no one could truly match him. He owned that game.

Yet, it seemed to be more than enough as the man tried to move his hand fan sideways and block the two Lan cultivators from view but failed. He even looked down, feeling suddenly very small. At the same time, Wuxian let out a sigh and shook his head, not surprised to see his old friend being easily intimidated by others.

In the end, he chose to acknowledge the two figures. "Hanguan Jun...Lan Xiong...It's truly not me..."

Without uttering a word, Wangji tossed on the table the fabric piece he had managed to cut off the assailant, with his sword. Jia lifted an eyebrow and looked down, at the bottom of his cultivator robes. Understanding what they were suggesting, he tried to hide the spot from where the very same piece had been cut off.

"Who was it then?" Jia finally asked rhetorically.

While her face lacked the coldness of her uncle, she was still the Lan Heiress. She had spent more than enough time with the youngest Gusu Jade to be able and show some type of warning and prove that she was not to be underestimated or lied to.

"...Hanguan Jun..." he started again, trying to appease the famous cultivator, hoping their shared past experiences to play in his favour. "...I...I was just passing by...I truly know nothing....nothing..."

Wuxian left yet another sigh and decided to enter this discussion, seeing they were getting nowhere. "Since you don't know, let me tell you a story. Maybe, you will recall something when I am telling the story".

Huaisang looked at him with a curious and slightly confused expression, half of his face hidden behind his hand fan. "Who is this young Master?" he asked, pretty much all three.

Wangji did not reply but simply extended his sheathed sword towards the scared male cultivator. Like an obedient dog, he lowered himself down on the pillow. His eyes glanced from Wangji to his sword and then to Jia, who also chose to settle down on the other pillow. She was at the side of the two cultivators, and she passed a message as she had summoned her sword and let it lay across her crossed laps.

Huaisang gulped and stayed quiet. Jia might not be Wangji, but she had her reputation spreading. Going for endless night hunts with the famous young Jade, all while being the daughter of two powerful clan leaders...it could not help but spread rumours.

Wuxian glanced at the standing Wangji. "Hanguan Jun, is there any liquor?" he asked him, feeling the need for something strong.

Despite being reincarnated into a new body, his need for good alcohol never seized. And as much as he enjoyed playing the fool, he was smart enough to remember and address Wangji with his title. For only he, had ever the audacity to call him by his real name. If that were to escape, even by accident, it could quickly raise suspicions.