Truth Revealed

ELYZA POV

Madison was predictably unhappy to be contained within the warehouse whilst her daughter was risking her life in search of them. It was a difficult situation, one that I was not eager to be complying with but I recognised the sensibility of the decision. 

Leaving the safe confines of the warehouse could lead to encounters with either a horde or the prison gang, neither of which would end well for the Clark family. A day, two at most was all that was necessary to ensure a clear route back to find her daughter. If she could wait that long. 

"Not only would you be risking yourselves, but also us if you decide to leave now," Raven was insisting firmly, hoping that against the odds this stranger would respond to her plea. There were many people to consider in this situation. 

"She's right Madison, we have to think of everyone involved before we take any unwise action," Strand spoke up in support, drawing the woman's gaze as she considered her options carefully. 

Nick was seated on the ground as his mother continued to worry about the fate of her daughter, fiddling idly with the hem of his sleeve as the conversation swept around him. 

"Are you not going to go and back Raven up?" Octavia inquired as she drifted up beside me where I was safely standing a few metres away from the tense interaction to save being pulled into the argument. 

"No chance," I muttered, more than happy to observe the proceedings without getting on the wrong side of the devastated mother. "I don't want to piss Alicia's family off before I even get a chance to know them."

"It's not exactly the ideal way of meeting your girlfriends mother," Octavia mused, as if she watching the entire event unfold on a television programme. Unfortunately it was my life and I had to think carefully about the consequences of my actions before I intervened.  

Nick finally glanced up from his silent observation when Raven pleaded for them yet again to do the right thing. "Mom, we'll find Alicia. One day won't make any difference, she's survived this long without us."

My skin prickled at the statement. Alicia had survived this long in my company and I had taught her well, but there was no telling what awaited her outside these walls. 

Finally Madison complied with the demands and Raven was able to go about her duties once more without fearing that the family were about to make a run for it. Instead they huddled together in their own bubble, virtually oblivious of those around them. 

"Two days and then we're leaving to find her no matter what these people say," Madison expressed, already reluctant to wait that long. "Once we find her, it's a matter of getting back to the ship without delay and regrouping with the others."

Nick nodded solemnly at his mothers feet and I couldn't stop the wave of numb realisation from washing over me. This was everything that Alicia and I had been searching for since we had first met, but I had never planned for the reality of the situation. 

It took me a long time to realise that I was staring openly at their private family gathering, a second longer to realise that Octavia had drifted away from my side, and another excruciating moment to acknowledge the questioning frown that Strand regarded me with.

No one else appeared to notice my fixation and I was quick to avert my eyes and retreat back to my own belongings where I could process my thoughts in peace. Each step felt weighted and I couldn't quite pinpoint the exact reason why. 

It wasn't until my back was pressed against the wooden cabinet and I was hidden from sight that the tears began to well unstoppably in my eyes. Heartache at the prospect of Alicia being in danger was conflicting with the happiness of being able to reunite the girl with her family if she did return, only to be diminished in the face of how I would now fit into their chaotic lives. There was a lot to take in.