Drunk and Disorderly

Alicia POV

I was still leaning against the motorhome, massaging an imminent headache from my skull when I heard the crunch of approaching footsteps. I cracked my eyes open to glimpse Elyza weaving through the caravans, her boots kicking up dust as she set her sights on me. 

Her limp was less pronounced now, likely due to the numbing effects of alcohol, but the dark bruise on her cheek was unmistakable even in the faint evening light. 

"Not in the party spirit?" she queried, settling her back against the motorhome opposite me as she mirrored my stance. She was deceptively sober in all appearances, but there was a glint in her eye that suggested the alcohol was burning through her chest much like it was mine.  

I shrugged, dropping my gaze to the ground as I kicked at the dirt half heartedly. 

"Something like that."

Elyza continued to stare at me but I refused to meet her gaze, not daring to reveal what lay in their depths. 

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Elyza pursed her lips and nodded to herself, lifting her injured leg to rest on the vehicle at her back, relieving the weight from her ankle as she stared out into the growing darkness.  

"Then what have I done wrong?"

I sighed lightly before even registering the action, the frustration in my chest bubbling into life to accompany the burn of alcohol. 

"You've not done anything wrong," I insisted forcefully, instantly regretting the sharp tone when Elyza quirked an eyebrow at me, her neutral expression fading into disapproval. 

"It sure sounds like you're pissed about something," she snapped, her eyes sparking at my dismissive tone. 

I pushed away from the motorhome, unable to stand the weight of her stare any longer. I had barely made it a few steps away before Elyza called after me. 

"I've been fighting the living and dead for the last week," she burst, her own frustration getting the best of her composure. "I've dragged myself through sewers and barely eaten in days, the least you could do is be pleased to see me."

I whirled back to face her, matching her anguished tone as alcohol fuelled our passionate outburst. 

"I didn't think that you were coming back at all!"

We stared at each other for a long moment, Elyza's expression softening as it dawned on her that she had misinterpreted the reason behind my odd behaviour. It wasn't anger that had settled over me this past week, but fear that I might never see her again. 

I exhaled softly and felt my anger dissipate. There was no use fighting each other. I settled my back against the motorhome once more, Elyza taking position by my side a moment later. 

The sounds of the campfire gathering drifted to our ears, laughter and muted conversations that swept over us like white noise. Elyza brought a whisky bottle up to her lips and took a long swig. I hadn't even noticed it gripped tightly in her left hand. 

She passed it over with her right hand, reclaiming the bottle as I winced from the all too familiar burning sensation in the back of my throat. 

"I'm sorry for being a jerk," she offered, looking down at the alcohol lapping against the side of the glass bottle. "I knew the danger that we were up against out there, but I went anyway. I didn't mean to worry you."

As much as I appreciated the admission, I couldn't help but feel guilty about bringing the matter up the very day that she had returned. It went without saying that I was beyond happy to see her safe and well, but there was more to my frustration then I wanted to admit.