Hunt

When I woke up the next morning, I did my usual winter routine where I put on a black long sleeve and a regular tee shirt over it. I picked out a pair of jeans and some socks before putting those on. My Doc Martens went on next. I completed it by doing my makeup and throwing on a few chains. The next thing I grabbed was the hoodie I received the night before along with a larger thicker jacket to go over it. "Alright mom, I'm out," I said as I grabbed the keys and walked out the door. 

It was freezing cold and there were traces of snow on the ground. I knew I'd see a lot more once I got to the village. I've made the drive so many time since 16, it began to feel shorter each time. Sure enough, snow covered the ground from the base of the mountains up. There were so many cars in the designated parking areas but I wasn't surprised. This is why I have only ever come on opening day once. Once, I got to Viceroy Snowmass and parked, I dreaded getting out of the car and stepping into the cold. Although I've lived in Colorado my entire life, I've always hate the cold so much unless I was snowboarding. 

I sucked it up and opened the car door. The frigid air attacked my exposed face. It was a decent walk to the front door and I was already over it. I sighed with relief when I got inside. "Hey Hexxus!" One of the desk receptionists called out. It was one of my friends from high school.

"Hey Jake," I responded. I walked up to the desk and leaned against it. He slid a key across to me. "What's this?" I picked it up. 

"428," he winked.

"Was my mom here yesterday?"

"I- can't tell you that." His eyebrows raised and the ends of his lips curled. He was in on it too.

"So if I asked what's in room 428, you're not going to tell me?"

"Correct."

"Really dude? You don't get paid enough to hide things from me."

"Actually, I do. I just got a raise last week."

"Really? Hell yeah!" we high fived. "I'm guessing my season pass is already renewed though, isn't it."

"I don't know. Let me check." He started to type into the computer. "Hillsin... yep. Renewed a few days ago."

"How long am I a key holder for exactly?"

"Can't tell you that either." He smiled.

"For real? UGH. Okay." I stood myself back on both of me feet.

"Oh, yo I have some questions when you come back through here."

"Oh- kay." I gave a questioning look and walked off to the elevator. When I got in, I swiped my key card to get to the 4th floor. I knew exactly where 428 was because that was usually the suite I stayed in every time I came. I unlocked the door and walked in. It seemed pretty empty with no trace of anyone expect for a piece of paper on the kitchen counter. I stuffed the key into my pocket and picked up the note. It only said "closet" with a smiley face. The same smiley face that was on the package from the previous night. His smiley face. 

I rolled my eyes and went to the bedroom closet and opened it. I prepared myself for something or someone to jump out at me. Luckily I prepared myself for nothing. There was nothing in it except for the usual. The safe that sat on the top shelf was closed though. "Really?" I said out loud to myself. "I don't even know the fucking code." The next thing my phone went off with a notification. It was a code from Jake saying "I forgot." I punched in the code and the safe door opened. It was another piece of paper that had a time and the Snowmass post office written on it.

I left the room and headed back down to the lobby. I had a 30 minute window to get there and I knew Jake had a few questions. "Is he buying himself time?" I asked as I walked up.

"Hm?" Jake responded.

"Gaege. I know that little punk is here. Is he buying himself time?"

"I don't know what you're talking about but speaking of Gaege, I didn't know you were dating Juicy."

"We are not dating. And how did you know?"

"So you just happened to go to Florida with your own money and ran into a few youtubers on your birthday and then drunk sent me a text with the picture saying you love Juicyfruitsnacks?"

"I mean, no."

"So you're dating."

"Jake, stop it."

"It's super cool if you are. You're literally the big mommy milker goth gf. And I mean hey, he's got the best one. I know when we dated you were always the topic of every conversation. Anyway, don't you have something to pick up at the post?" I rolled my eyes at his comment and walked out the door and to my car. The cold didn't bother me as much this time. I was to preoccupied. I drove around the village and parked at the post office. When I walked they already knew what I was there for and told me to wait another ten minutes. When time was up, they handed my a walkie talkie with a channel already selected.

"Where are you?" I spoke into it.

"Top," Gaege responded.

"Ugh, don't tell me..." I got back into my car.

"Yeah. Come and get me."

"You're lucky I have my gear in the back of my car. No board though. You'll be up there for a bit." I laughed.

"Don't let me freeze."

"You could hit it a few times before I even get to you."

"Nah. It's scary."

"You don't know what you're doing, do you?"

"Not in the slightest."

"Lord, okay. I just got back to Viceroy, I'll be up in a bit."