11

Why did I even follow them in here? I did not need to see that. Brooklyn is staring at Frenchie, who is slipping off a teal plastic surgeons glove from his hand. Butcher looks at Brooklyn's face and can't help himself but snicker.

Brooklyn is listening to Frenchie explain to Translucent how he figured out how to kill him. Translucent was just as confused as Brooklyn was, but not entirely since she watched him shove a plastic bomb up the dudes ass but hey, what else was there to do?

After Frenchie explained to Translucent what was going on and Butcher made a small quip, everything clicked and Brooklyn blurts out the same thing Frenchie is thinking of calling his latest creation. "Ass bomb."

Once the red head spoke those words, Butcher and Frenchie give her a raised eyebrow and Translucent became visible. Brooklyn was a little startled that the dude was completely naked, but was at least greatful when she sees his sitting somewhat modestly.

"Oh my god..." lets just say that everyone in the room was grinning wickedly—even Brooklyn—at Translucent suddenly realizing what could go wrong at any minute.

"Now you can stick your little finger up there and try to fish it out, bang. Or any of us could trigger this," Brooklyn looks up at Butcher as he holds up a remote indicating how else the ass bomb can go off. Honestly? This was a shitty way to go out but Brooklyn couldn't think of another way to kill Translucent—not that she was trying too. "Also bang. Savvy?"

Brooklyn raises an eyebrow when she sees Translucent grossly sobbing for mercy. "Oh god, please don't kill me. I'll—I'll give you anything!" He starts blabbering about A-Train, and honestly? Its amusing. Watching a hero go from cool to a sobbing mess the second they realize they're fucked and can be turned into a pile of blood and guts from the inside out. While Brooklyn can't help but admit that's a perfectly valid reaction to have in a situation like this, she hopes that Butcher or Frenchie will press that damn button.

The second Translucent mentions where A-Train is takes Brooklyn a second to realize that Hughie had entered the room. "Popclaw? That's the hero with the... things that come out of her wrists?"

"Yeah, real D-lister."

.

.

.

Once they got the information they needed and Butcher gave Translucent a good scare of the possibility they might blow him up the second they left the room, Frenchie motioned Butcher, Hughie, and Brooklyn to look at the monitor.

"Security footage?" Brooklyn confirms, Frenchie nodded and points at the screens.

"Look at that."

Hughie squints at the black and white footage of the out door security cameras that are being shown to him. He doesn't know what he's seeing, but whatever is flying on the screen looks like one big blurry dot, like a fly looking for some shit to land on.

Being observant and always having a careful eye, Brooklyn knows what they're seeing. "Homelander." Hughie looks at her and begins to panic.

"Oh shit, oh shit! He's got x-ray vision!"

Frenchie starts to add on to the list of known powers. "And super fucking hearing! If you set off that detonator, he will hear." Brooklyn looks at Butcher when Frenchie addresses that to him, Brooklyn wonders if Butcher has an idea that will let them get away with it, but she also wonders if he'll be smart and play it safe.

"We've got to throw him off the scent," Butcher suggested.

"How?" Brooklyn and Hughie asked in unison, Butcher just looks at Frenchie with a certain expression Brooklyn can't decipher.

"Pittsburgh." nonchalantly, Butcher looks at Frenchie. It was an answer to the obvious question that Hughie and Brooklyn asked but the two friends didn't know what he meant by it.

Frenchie, however, looked like he understood and didn't like it one bit. "Oh, you can't be serious..." Brooklyn is a little confused to Frenchie's response, wondering why he sounded so disappointed by Butcher's single word. He looked like he didn't want to do whatever Butcher had planned, yet Frenchie knew that this was one of the possible only ways to get Homelander off their trail.

Before Butcher could come up with another possible plan, he just looks at Frenchie. "Deadly." Hughie and Brooklyn look at each other with worry, wondering what Butcher meant by Pittsburgh.

"Do you know how much this will cost me?" Frenchie asks as Butcher starts to head out. Curious as to what Butcher had planned Brooklyn follows him as he leaves the room.

"Put it on the tab." Frenchie looks over his shoulder as he watches his colleague leave. He notices Brooklyn following Butcher while Hughie stayed behind.

Frenchie lets out an exasperated sigh and grabs his jacket, slipping it on as he follows Butcher and Brooklyn. The only one in the room now was Hughie, still confused.

"Guys?!"

.

.

.

Brooklyn is confused as to why they were in the van, but she was looking at Butcher as he opens up a laptop and starts rapidly typing in shit she didn't understand. Frenchie is calling someone and telling them about a burn. Burn what? Brooklyn didn't know.

"What the hell is Pittsburgh besides a city in Philadelphia?" Butcher curves the corner of his lip up into a smirk as he listens to Brooklyn's confusion.

She can't help but be curious about what's happening but as soon as Butcher is done typing everything into the computer, he drags her out of the van.

They're hiding behind some crates and as soon as they get there Homelander lands in front of Frenchie's van. Brooklyn has never seen him up close before and while he may seem like he's nice in the press, it was fucking terrifying seeing him in person.

Butcher watches as Brooklyn quietly brings her legs up to her chest and places her chin on the top of her knees and rocks a bit, he whacks her softly on the side of her arm as if to tell her to pull her shit together. Even though she didn't know Frenchie for long, she knew that the second Homelander asked to check the back of his van he was screwed, or at least would have had been if Butcher and Brooklyn stayed in the back.

Even though they weren't there, it felt like they were. Butcher places a hand on her shoulder and give her shoulder a light squeeze as he uses his other hand to type in more codes and commands in the computer. The second he presses the enter button, Brooklyn felt her heart leap out of her stomach when she heard a loud explosion in the distance.

Homelander, still near Frenchie's van, turns his attention away from the civilian. He hears the explosion to and leaps up into the air and flies off.

.

.

.

After making sure they were in the clear, Brooklyn stands up and looks at the two men as she met up with Frenchie at the van.

"The fuck did you guys have to do in Pittsburgh to pull whatever you guys just pulled?" Frenchie gives her a pat on the shoulder, not giving her another word of what just happened.

"You did good Frenchie," Butcher actually complimenting on his colleagues work warmed Brooklyn's heart. "You, lass, need to learn how to work well under pressure."

Brooklyn frowns. "How was I supposed to know what you two were doing? All you said was Pittsburgh. I didn't know what that meant."

Butcher pats her on the head, "And now ya do."

.

.

.

A/N ;; this book is gonna be long af at this point lmao

anyways, sorry it took so long to update. tbh, i didn't have much motivation to write this week but life's been a bit crazy lately so i figured this was a good mental distraction.