10

They drove in silence.

Wherever they were going it was in the middle of the city, once he pulled up to where they needed to be, he looked at her. "Follow me," Butcher tells her as he looks around the perimeters of the building, looking for security. He scrunched his nose when he saw some security cameras, but it looked like they were off. "I know a way in."

"Where are we exactly?" Butcher just brought his finger up to his mouth to shush her and she put her hands up in defense. She wasn't sure why they were at a regular home. There wasn't anything here that could help them, unless if it were on the inside.

"Old friends place," he motioned her to follow him as he pulled her close so they can avoid some security cameras his friend had set up along side the house. Thankfully, he's been here plenty of times before and knew how to get in.

While Brooklyn didn't like the idea of breaking and entering, Butcher didn't seem to mind at all. He smiled when he found a key hiding underneath a rock, such a dumb fucking tactic for people who lose their house keys to keep a spare. "Is this how you meet all your colleagues? Breaking and entering into their houses?"

Butcher shrugged as he peels the key off the mold of the rock, placing it back where he found it. There was a back door the two could take. "Unless if 'm not killin' 'em, yeah."

"Then I guess I should be flattered you didn't kill me." Brooklyn stuffed her hands into her hoodies pockets as she kept herself from telling Butcher that maybe this was a bad idea and not worth it—then again, all his ideas were half-assed and never worth it but hey, he was still alive wasn't he?

The inside of the house they were in was homey. Pictures of a man and a woman and two kids were scattered and plastered across the home. Butcher would be lying if he said he didn't want to chuck one of the frames and watch them shatter. He didn't know why he wanted to do it, maybe it was just because he never had a chance to start a future like this—yet Susan did.

"So, where are we?"

"Susan's her name, she's a CIA operative... just got promoted I think." Brooklyn looked like she had so many questions it made Butcher want to laugh but she just kept them to herself.

As they waited for Susan to come home from work, they made themselves comfortable in the kitchen. Brooklyn felt her cell phone vibrate in her pocket and Butcher gave her a raised eyebrow, wondering who could be contacting her at this hour.

Hughie: You doing ok?

Brooklyn: Yeah, why?

Hughie: Because you're out in the middle of the night with a man that kills people.

"Congrats on the promotion Susan! Andrew and the kids must be chaffed."

"Jesus, Butcher! What are you doing here?"

Brooklyn lost her train of thought from her conversation when she hears Butcher speaking, the woman—Susan, she assumed—looked at her. "And who's she?" Susan asked, gesturing.

"New team member." Brooklyn doesn't know if she should smile because she was a part of his team, or frown because she didn't ask for any of this. "Now are you gonna help us or not?"

"Not. Get out of my house, Butcher." Butcher wanted to ask her again, but Susan already looked annoyed with him. "And don't talk about my family ever again, it makes my skin crawl."

.

.

.

They drove in silence again and Brooklyn didn't know what to expect from that visit. The two obviously had a very, very, very rocky past so she didn't peg about it anymore. "Would've gone better if I didn't come along?" she asked, just making some noise to break whatever the silence was for.

"Probably would've gone the same if I'm bein' honest," replied Billy. He does feel slightly bad for bringing her along, but he was hoping that if Susan saw him working well with others for once he thought she would cave and help him out. "You did good though."

Brooklyn snorted. "I just stayed quiet."

"Well, nevertheless." He didn't understand why she didn't just take the compliment, so he ended it there. "How do you think Hughie and Frenchie are doing with our invisible friend?" Butcher had to admit, he enjoyed talking to the girl—and he barely enjoyed anything—and thought he'd pick her brains a bit.

"Knowing Hughie, he's probably trying to question him first before you get back." Butcher smirked at that, few days with each other and she already knows him well. Personality wise, anyways. "It's not gonna be long before Vought sends people out to look for him either way..."

"Probably, but Frenchie'll hold those cunts off," Brooklyn smiled as she leans her elbow against the car windowsill and places her cheek in the palm of her hand and watches the streets go by. "I've been meanin' to ask, what's with you and loud sounds?"

Brooklyn raised an eyebrow, wondering what he was talking about and then she remembered that place he took them too. "Oh... yeah. I'm a walking personification of anxiety, loud noises are upsetting to me." She tried explaining her best, but she was always a little intimidated explaining it. She didn't know where that anxiety came from. "Just to a point where the bass is making me feel like I swallowed my phone and left it on vibrate." Butcher takes note of that, but he doesn't know how she will be able to work with him and his crew with Frenchie around—that man liked to talk peoples heads off.

"Well, good to know." Brooklyn raised an eyebrow and then lets out a huff as he pulls them up to the abandoned restaurant.

.

.

.

She didn't expect Hughie to ask Frenchie what it was like to kill a supe.

The way that Frenchie explained it was oddly poetic yet terrifying at the same time.

That scene changed fast though when Brooklyn watched Butcher take a chain saw hedger and reared it up, getting it ready for their next round of getting Translucent to talk. Frenchie had turned on a crappy TV to the animal channel and there was a documentary about turtles; oddly enough, Brooklyn did like turtles, but Frenchie was watching it and got an idea.

"What are you up to now?" Butcher asked, slightly annoyed with how quick Frenchie was moving.

"I need our invisible friend unconscious," Frenchie replied.

"What for?" Brooklyn inquired; Frenchie gave his new friend a smile.

"I've got it!" he goes into where they're keeping Translucent hostage and uses the cattle prodder to electrocute him unconscious. 

.

.

.

a/n - sorry it took me a while to update this, i was trying to come up with more original dialogue and it was hard lol