6

Hughie was all excited that he had just done something most people would never even remotely think about doing. Seriously, did Butcher do this all the time? He was feeling that adrenaline rush. "And I look him right in the eye, and I smile. Like it was no big deal! Holy shit! That was the - Brooklyn, do you do this on your internship?" Brooklyn looks up at Hughie, who is all jittery from his adrenaline rush from meeting A-Train.

Brooklyn falters for a second because she doesn't know how to lie. She hates lying, it makes her feel sick. Butcher picks up her side of the cover story though. "Nah, nah she just does paperwork." Butcher tells him in response.

Butcher is mostly quiet on the ride there, but Hughie was still babbling about how intense that was, how he wished Brooklyn were in there with him so she could see what he had just witnessed. "That was awesome, man, just getting to stare that asshole down!" Hughie breathes a sigh of relief, he needed that. He didn't know it was something he needed, but he was glad he got to experience it once. "I get why you dig this job! Brooklyn, you must get this feeling too because, woo." Hughie takes a deep breather as Butcher pulls up to a familiar set of buildings. This makes Brooklyn frown, and Billy looks almost saddened that he had to do this to the boy. "What are we, uh, what're we doing here?"

"Well, you gotta go to work, don't you?" Billy looks at Hughie, his voice actually a little soft as if he were sorry to see the boy go so quickly. He was glad to help people who were stuck in the same situation - well, similar situation as Billy was - but that was a story for another time.

Hughie looks at Butcher and then at Brooklyn, a little confused as to why he wasn't doing anything much more to help. He wanted to do more, if there were more people out there who were payed off by Vought to keep their accidents a secret and as if nothing even happened then he wanted to get closure for all of them. "Yeah, but, um... I don't..." he looks out the car window, frowning a bit and Brooklyn feels her heart shatter.

Well, she doesn't know why. She was technically in on a lie; she doesn't do this with Butcher, this was her first little adventure with him and while she didn't feel the exact same adrenaline rush as Hughie did, she felt excited. Now all she feels is worn out and tired and she wants to go home and sleep for a week. She didn't do anything at all but knowing she was an accomplice to the mission was enough to rile up her anxiety.

"Well, I mean, that's all I need you for right now, yeah?" Butcher tries to reassure the kid that there might be a time where he'll need him again, but he just doesn't need him right now.

"Yeah, I mean, but I-I can..." Hughie pauses and tries to persuade Billy to let him tag along a little bit longer.

"I think it's best that I take it from here," Brooklyn looks at Butcher and she wonders if he doesn't want Hughie to get hurt in his line of work. Then she wonders where the hell that left her in this scheme of things. "Brooklyn and I gotta lot of work to do." He adds on, making Brooklyn raise an eyebrow.

We do? She thinks to herself.

Hughie looks saddened and a little bummed, but he understands. Hughie wants to say something but all he does is let out a sad little sigh. Brooklyn climbs up to the front seat, taking over where Hughie was sitting and before Butcher could drive her back home Hughie stops him for a second.

"Hey, you ever see an asshole tear up forty-five k?" he tears the check in one swift clean movement and turns around, but Butcher calls out his name.

"Hughie!" the scrawny kid turns around, looking at his new friend with a raised eyebrow. "You're a good lad." Brooklyn smiles, thinking that was sweet of Butcher to say. He certainly did not look like the type of guy to give compliments out to any stranger. Hughie just gives Butcher the kindest smile, Brooklyn looks at Butcher as he starts to rev up the engine and starts to drive himself and Brooklyn home.