chapter 7

sweating in the cold, I dropped the shovel and sat in the grass. " George, I think we should give up.. I don't see any signs of it!" I whined. George laughed at me, " look closer! " and squatted down right by my side. he turned on the flashlight and we saw it. " oh my god! no way! " and both hugged each other. I don't even know why we did but it felt right. he was shortly above me while I pulled him down, and we sat there for about a few minutes. in one another's arm's. I could feel his heart racing, as he put his head into my neck but- before I could make out words the sound of branches breaking broke the silence between us.

 " what the hell was that? " I said, shaking a bit from the weather.  he put his hand on my arm and slowly moved it down while whispering, " here stay still, we should probably get home but let me move the dirt back really quick. ". I agreed with him, while staying stiff at the ground, he quickly undid our work and walked back over to me. just as he did; another branch cracked, but this time a lot closer. as steps followed it, who knows what it was but, George and I immediately bolted.  school was surrounded by big trees and a forest back there. as kids, we always made scary stories and now being there kind of freaked us out more. we forgot the shovels but, who cares. they weren't necessarily right there either so lets hope nobody finds it, but not one person goes back there. 

  by the time we got back home, I walked with him up to my front door but it was locked. " shoot, everyone is asleep too! I don't blame them though, it's really late. ". " you're right. speaking of, let's hope nothing followed us HoMeE y/Nn " he giggled, and I nudged him practically.  I looked around, and realized that everyone's lights were off. " well, why don't you just come stay with me for the night? just text your mom. " George replied, and the thought of that honestly scared me. We were never allowed to do that but, I guess now we are right? I texted my mom as soon as he said that and grabbed his hand. " let's go then, Captain George!" I smiled, as he laughed at me. we walked over and I reminded myself, this is what friends do. him and I are friends. WAIT BUT WHAT ABOUT ALISSA? 

   when that idea hit me, I started to freak a bit but; it was too late. he opened the door and squeezed my hand. stepping up the omniscient stairs and navigating through the dark hall, I felt Georges grip leave my hand as he shuffled away into the dark. " uhh, George I swear to god if you just left me in the da-" 

click. 

" WOAH " I shouted and quickly covered my mouth. George started wheezing, and I joined him. " your reaction was priceless y/n! they're just lights.". I replied, " I know but I've never seen them  before! they're so cool.. ". waiting for him to reply, he walked over to me and I looked up to him. " uhh.. what's up George? " he then moved over to his closet and grabbed a sweater and some shorts. " Here, you look like a worm in dirt from all the  shoveling. " " oh wow, thank you! just hm- turn around! " I ordered. He covered his eyes like a child and complied. putting on his clothes felt so weird, don't couples do this stuff? eh. I set the dirty clothes in the corner and sat down but uh.. George still stood there with his eyes hidden like he was playing peekaboo with me. " George, you're out of timeout now! " I exclaimed to him, as he sighed in relief. 

" I really thought you would never say that ", he said while pulling back the bedsheets. Instinctively, I grabbed a pillow and set it on the floor to sleep. laying down, he peered over me from the ledge of his bed. " what are you doing? ". " setting up my sleeping spot! " I answered him, as he put his hand forward to me. " I wouldn't make you sleep on the floor y/n, c'mon. ". motioning to grab his hand, I followed while slowly blushing. never in well, 10 plus years would I think him and I would be in the same bed..  

  we lied next to each other, and I stared at the ceiling. as I turned my face to his, he whispered softly-

" I missed you. " 

" you drove me crazy. " I hushed, as he pulled me closer and we slowly fell asleep.