Chapter Five

The rain boots swell to adjust to my feet sliding into them. I was running extremely late. Monday proved to be the worst day of the week. Everything that could go wrong was. I was starting to believe I was being filmed for a TV show like Punk'd and a celebrity was going to jump out from behind my couch and tell me it was all a set up.
For starters, my phone had died in the middle of the night. I plugged it in but apparently it wasn't plugged into the wall. Therefore, my alarm didn't go off and I had woken up thirteen minutes before my first class of the day began. Second, there was no hot water in the shower causing me to skip it entirely. Thirdly, I lost my keys somewhere in the house. And lastly, it was storming outside. Without my keys, I couldn't drive my car. Meaning, I had to walk to the college in the rain.
I zipped up my jacket and prayed the rain would stop just long enough for me to get to the school. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and opened the door.
Just as the door exposed the outside world, lightening struck loudly and I belt out a scream. I covered my mouth with my hand and my eyes scanned each side of the sidewalk hoping no one heard me. Luckily, there wasn't anyone on the streets. I couldn't blame them, what idiot would venture out into a storm like this? I mentally slapped myself after realizing I was becoming that idiot.
I sprinted the whole way to the college. The rain boots did little to cease the spreading of water onto my pants and down onto my socks. I earned a classroom full of blank stares and a very unsatisfied look from the professor as I walked in. My lungs were screaming at me for air, but as I walked the length of the classroom to my seat, I let out and out as little air as possible. No one had to know about the way I got there, just that I made it.
I wanted so bad to yell that it wasn't my fault, but it wouldn't have made a difference the result would still be the same. It was my first tardy. Ever. I slid, soaking wet, into my seat in the back of the room and tried my hardest to pay attention.
But the only thing running through my brain was my mother's voice. "This was not part of the arrangement. Do it again and you can kiss all of this goodbye."

•••

The rain hadn't let up and the sky looked as if the storm was never going to end as I made my way to the bookstore. The rain had matted the loose strands of hair to my face and neck. I was soaked through and through. If I didn't come out of today with a cold, it would be a miracle. The bookstore was warm against my shivering bones. The heat enveloping me as I entered through the wooden door. The bell above door chimed once as the door opened and again as the door drifted closed.
"Hadley, I want you to run the café today, if that's all right." The old store owner walked toward me with his circular bifocals still pushed against the bridge of his nose. Dale looked me over then he chuckled. "You look like you've been caught in a storm, sweetheart."
I glared at him. "You are absolutely hilarious." He started to laugh harder. The old man's eyes closed when he got really tickled at something. His eyes squeezed shut, his head was thrown back, as a hand sat on his flat belly. His high spirits, lightening my mood slightly.
I smiled as Dale's laughter slowly died down and he set a rough hand on my shoulder. Thank you was all he said before turning and walking away. I wasn't sure whether he was thanking me for the good laugh or for going to work in the café without objection.
I didn't linger on the thought long as I walked to the back room to put my bag away. In my locker there was a small, cheaply plastic mirror and for the first time that day I took a long, hard look at myself.
I sighed. A bun, haphazardly sat high on my head and under that sat tired eyes. My cheeks were tinged pink due to the cold. My clothes were still soaking wet, the long sleeve shirt clung to my body and I applauded myself for deciding against wearing a lightly, colored one. My jeans had been a light wash when I had slipped into them this morning, but now they were dark, looking as if I had an entirely different outfit on.
I looked homely and regretted showing my face in public. No one should have to see this mockery of an adult that reflected in the small, plastic mirror. I wished I could apologized to everyone who had seen me today. Then apologize in advance for anyone who later on unintentionally crossed my path.
I pulled the apron from its spot by the door and clipped my name tag on my shirt. My black, rain boots squeaked as the wet soles met the cracked, tile floor. I felt like the literal form of shit as I walked back into the store. Someone should've come by and picked me up off the ground with a doggie bag, placing me in a trash bin where I belonged.