Chapter Ten

"Can I ask you something?" All I could do was stare at the cup in my hands. I had only been up for ten minutes, but the questions circling before me made me feel like I had been awake for hours.
  I was exhausted and the supposedly simple act of getting out of bed this morning proved to be anything but. Levi had made his exit before I woke up as well, stealing from me the ability to relish in his presence.
  Even now, as I sit cross-legged on the couch, Levi's head was stuck in his phone as he paced the living room, muttering phrases too low to understand.
  I doubted he even knew I was with him as he flinched when I asked my question, but gave no answer. The silence in the house was comfortable, but my mind wouldn't give me a break. Even my body was begging for solutions. "Levi."
  "One second, babe." His eyes still attacking the screen of his device. My stomach flipped at the endearment. He sounded focused but calm, the absolute opposite of our previous conversation. How could he flip-flop so easily? Was this ability worth mastering as well?
  The home around me was virtually untouched. The decorations were masterfully placed. There wasn't a single ounce of dust on any surface.
The sun danced against the tan couch cushions. The tree shadows moved gracefully as the autumn wind rustled their branches. The gun that had been laying on the coffee table was either hiding close by or gone forever My body told me it was the former, though I prayed it was the latter.
As I examined the little home further, I realized it reminded me nothing of Levi. The bright, warm color scheme was in direct contrast with the dark, cold vibe he was accustomed to wearing. The pictures and plants were so precisely placed, it was hard to believe Levi had done it all himself. He hadn't come across as the decorating type.
  "Okay, what's up?" Levi pulled his fingers through his hair while he slipped his phone into the pocket of his pants.
  I looked up from my coffee. "Where did you go last night?" My subconscious gasped at my bluntness.
  Levi shrugged, seemingly unfazed. "Out. I had some business to finish."
  "Please, no bullshit." My eyes widened. That had been only my second time saying a curse word. His lips curled. "I'm having a terrible effect on you."
  My eyes narrowed on his strikingly handsome face. "Don't try to change the subject."
  "Why do you always ask questions you either don't want to know the answer to or already know the answer to?" He inquired.
  Did I already know the answer? I pursed my lips. Levi wouldn't drive back to that abandoned house outside the city and... no, he wasn't that kind of a man. Then, I remembered Levi's brother's words: He's not as innocent as you think.
"Did you go to see him?" I blurted. Instead of answering, Levi crossed the room and took a seat in the armchair by the entertainment center. He leaned forward resting his elbows on his knees, his fingers crossing one over the other. His copper eyes blazing.
"Define go to see."
"Did you fight him?"
"No."
"So you didn't hurt anyone?"
I caught his grin from behind his hands. His middle finger and thumb fiddled with his bottom lip. "I didn't say that."
"Then what are you saying?" Anger was growing inside me, like a lion sensing an enemy, as I raised an eyebrow. In an instance Levi laughed at me as he threw his back against the chair, arms flopping over the sides.
The hem of his shirt pulled away from his sweatpants and my breath caught in my throat. Had he been shirtless when we slept together? I pulled my coffee closer to my chest.
"If you must know, I didn't do anything to anyone. I didn't even make it back to that house."
Shocked, I asked, "why not?"
"Because that's what my brother would want me to do. He knew you would tell me about him being in your house. He knew how I would react. My brother's a very clever man, but I couldn't walk into his trap." Levi shook his head. "I won't let him win that easily. So, I turned the car around and came back to you."
That would explain why I felt his presence not long after I had dozed off. He wouldn't give his brother the satisfaction he craved. I like the sound of that.
  This was a game to him. Playing with the life of an innocent girl all to reclaim the power his brother so desperately needed. I was a pawn and because of Levi and I's relationship, I almost gave that maniac what he wanted.
"I didn't mean to..." but he held up his hand to stop me.
"It would've been worse if you hadn't told me. Just, next time, maybe tell me your big news before you start teasing me."
I blush. My subconscious rolls her eyes. What would've happened if I hadn't ruined the moment? You still have a boyfriend. I quickly gulp coffee.
Levi stared at something unseen as I debated on whether or not to change the subject. What more could I pry if I kept going? Suddenly my stomach growls. "I think I need to eat."
He laughs, "you think? I heard that all the way over here!"
Another blush rises to kiss my cheeks. More slowly this time, I swallow my drink. "How long was I with them?"
Levi shakes his head. "It's really hard to say. A couple of days, maybe. Possibly more." Then he shrugs," either way, you're going to need more than a day to recover."
The evening of my attack, I hadn't eaten dinner. If it had been two days or more, I was going to need more than what Levi had in his house to kill the monster that was slowly building in the pit of my stomach. "Well, if you wouldn't mind, I need food."
As I spoke Levi made his way across the house toward the kitchen. As he disappeared behind the wall I heard his phone go off.
I waited patiently for my mysterious man to return with, what I prayed, was a tray of food and a smile that explained there was more if I wanted it.
I craned my neck to examine the outside world. The morning sun pierced through the few leaves that were left on the trees. The majority lay in a pile of reds and oranges on the grass below. To a visitor, the weather looked inviting, but to a seasoned veteran, I knew the wind was crisp and the sun held little warmth.
The neighborhood was normal. So normal that I doubted anyone suspected the third brick house on the right housed an ex-gang member who was nursing a girl who'd fallen prey to his gang's leader back to health. If anyone told the lovely homeowners surrounding us that story, they'd laugh and continue their morning stroll. Who knew such darkness lived only a property line away from the light.
My legs ached at the thought of walking. I sent up another prayer that Levi would have enough nourishment to seduce my ravenous appetite. The possibility of going out somewhere to stop and buy food was too strenuous for the current state of my body.
Someone cleared their throat behind me and I snapped my head around. Levi stood with his phone in one hand and a bowl and what looked like a spoon in the other. He offered the phone to me, his facial expression was unreadable. "For you", he mumbled.
Hesitantly I took the device. Who would call me from Levi's phone? I answered.
"Where are you and why are you with him?" His irritation was laced through every word.
My fingers pulled at my bottom lip as I tried to figure out what I could say to explain my absence. "Greyson...I, uh, am with him because he is helping me study for..."
"Midterms," Levi whispered.
"Midterms. I'm so sorry I didn't call and tell anyone. I..." my mind drew a blank.
"Your phone is lost," Levi whispered again as he set the bowl on the table in front of me. It was full of cereal. My mouth watered uncontrollably.
"I lost my phone a few days ago and haven't had the opportunity to order a new one." My face twisted as I looked for some sign of approval from the man in front of me.
"Do you know how dangerous it is for a girl, like you, to be out in a city with no form of communicating with anyone?" Greyson's tone was unchanged. Was he livid because I was with Levi or because I didn't buy a new phone? Either way, I stifled a laugh as he spoke about danger. What would he think if I told him all that I'd gone through?
"I'm not alone..." I started but Levi swung his hand back and forth, vertically across his neck, signally me to abort, but it was too late.
"Ah yes, the little criminal is with you to keep you from harm. I'm impressed with your choice of crowds these days, Had. What's next, are you going to start going to yoga with serial killers?"
Greyson had never spoken to me this way. I didn't know how to respond. I was in a pickle. My mouth was watering insatiably while my blood was boiling.
Levi's jaw was clenched and he stared at the floor as his fingers played with his lip ring. It wasn't hard to read his body language now. Asking for help from him probably wouldn't be the best.
"He's not a bad guy and I'm completely fine on my own," I spoke through gritted teeth.
"If he's such a good guy then why does your college attendance show your lack of attendance? Wouldn't a good guy push you to go to school not take you away from it?"
"How do you know that?" I was mortified. There was no sound on the other end.
I looked to my second, again. His eyes were guarded but he offered me a wink. I just wanted to eat my cereal!
Then Greyson finally said, "Everyone seems great on the surface. Just remember that while you're studying." The other end of the phone went dead. Was he assuming I was cheating? Did he know I had feelings for Levi?
Anxiety coursed through me. What if he told my parents? How did he know about my college absences? Surely, he hadn't talked to my parents.
I let the phone slip from my fingers and fall heavily onto my lap. I didn't know where to put my coffee. I needed to go for a walk.
"He's...he's something...."
"Let's go somewhere," I stated quickly, earning a thoroughly confused glance from the only other person in the room. How had he known Levi's number?
"You're in no condi-"
"Anywhere. I need to get out of this house. I need fresh air." Ironically, I still couldn't breathe out of my nose. He didn't need to know this.
Levi rubbed the back of his neck but didn't protest further. I stood, setting the cup down next to the bowl of cereal, and padded towards the bedroom like I owned the place. His eyes followed me until I passed the threshold into the room.
What was I going to wear? "I need to stop by my apartment!" I yelled as I turned towards the hallway. I jumped as Levi was leaned against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest. His expression read amused.
"No matter what I say, we're going to go, aren't we?" He asked. I nodded slowly. I didn't know if I was physically or mentally ready to take on everything all at once.
"I need clothes that fit me."
"I quite like my clothes on your body." I was standing too near the bed to receive a comment like that. My anxiety was still raging within me. As he took a step forward, I took one back. He cocked his head to the side. "I...need to go to the bathroom." I stammered before vanishing behind a door.
My body sighed deeply. All the movement was already taking its toll. But still, I pressed toward the bathroom mirror.
I was astonished at my appearance. Maybe I was getting used to seeing myself with a black and blue sheen, but my reflection wasn't as distorted as I imagined. My eyes were smudged under my lashes, but it was nothing makeup couldn't cover.
My nose was bruised across the bridge and my lip was puffier than usual. I pulled my fingers through my hair, straightening some strands. Once I wasn't in Levi's baggy shirt and sweatpants, maybe I'd look completely like myself.