Capitolo XVIII

I threw my entire attire (sans shoes) in the fireplace in my room, that's hot enough to burn the entire house, before I went in the bathroom to clean off Lucas' blood off my body. I didn't leave the shower until I was red as a tomato from scrubbing him off.

I didn't know how it happen but I had manage to bring him to his room successfully without suspicious and concerned looks from the help. Daphne, however, stepped in front of us when we were about to take the stairs and asked if I wanted help. Lucas, with all his strength left, shooed her with a dismissing hand.

When Lucas was settled on his bed in one of the guest rooms, he groans in relief as his body relaxed on the soft mattress. I debated if I should remove his clothes and change him into something cleaner, but my pride didn't stoop that low to let me. So I just let him rest and promised to call Sigmund immediately. Immediately was a good thirty minutes since I left Lucas' room. I mean I took my time in the shower and I knew Lucas would survive that thirty minutes.

I picked up my phone to call Sigmund. The devil on my shoulder tells me to wait another fifteen before I call, but even I'm not that cruel.

"Miss Santelli," Sigmund answers on the first ring. Good that we still have respect in order around here. I hear the muffled traffic in the background like Sigmund was either inside a building or a cab. "Funny that you called. I was just about to email Lucas for your follow-up. How are you?"

"I've been better, Sigmund. Thank you." I step inside my WIC, in a robe and plush slippers, picking out a casual attire since the day is far from over for me to choose a nightie. "I called about Lucas."

Sigmund chuckles from the sound of Lucas' name. "How is that boy? Still stubborn, I bet."

"You can say that," I agreed, remembering exactly how hardheaded he was when he I told him to step away from the dummy. Look what happened. "There was a situation and I shot him on his thigh."

"You what?" Sigmund snapped.

"It was friendly fire," I pointed. "He stood in front of the dummy and told me to shoot."

"But I thought you're not well enough to shoot, Caterina."

"I told him exactly that, Sigmund. But he refused to listen."

"Is he okay now? Why didn't you call me immediately?" I get Sigmund's worry. He's the De Marchi's doctor for a very long time and I think he sees Lucas as his own child.

"He's in his room," I said. "I took the bullet out and stitch him up myself. The bleeding stopped but I need you to treat the possibility of an infection."

I heard him curse under his breath. "You should've called me, Caterina." Ms. Santelli, I wanted to correct him but I bit my tongue and reminded myself that it was Sigmund who saved my life when I was dying on the surgical bed.

"I told him you were still in Mexico," I admitted. The truth is, Sigmund isn't in Mexico. He was here in New York for two weeks. I might have let him in on my company as the legal and head surgeon. Yesterday one of the patients needed surgery after cutting himself with a shard of glass from the plate a careless staff left in his room unattended. The staff was fired immediately and I didn't have the luxury to seek a doctor who wouldn't drag the rehab's image down. So I called Sigmund, made him an official staff and made him swore silence to whatever he knows and hears in the facilities. The only reason why I told Lucas that Sigmund was in Mexico was, well, I wanted to be the reason why he squirms in pain. It was therapeutic if you come to think of it.

"You lied to him," he pointed.

"Technically," I admitted. "But he's fine now. He's stable. The wound is clean, the bullet is out. And he's peacefully sleeping in one of my guest bedrooms even though he bled like a pig in my basement. No one bleeding gets out alive in my basement, Sigmund."