Capitolo IV

"You okay?" Lucas asked gravelly.

The right part of the room is dark. Only the faint light of the machine keeps the door visible. On my left, the window kept it perfectly lit. Lucas' face was brightly illuminated from light of his laptop. Suddenly his bone structure was improved, highlighted by the glow of his computer.

"Uh-huh," I nod. Turning to my side as I bury a hand under the pillow and the other under my chin. Thankfully the wires attached to my body to keep my vitals monitored were long enough for me to move as I please. But the rest of my joints and bruises protested. I see the city lights and the stars clearer than I did in my dream. It's breathtaking. "What are you doing?" I asked sleepily.

"Work," Lucas sighs. "Unfortunately. Now go back to sleep," he orders and returns his attention back to the screen.

"You should take a rest too, Lucas," I ordered, eyes slowly becoming heavy. "Get a hotel room or something."

"I'm perfectly fine here, Mari," he says as he started to type something. "Now sleep. I won't tell you again."

"Chase stopped by," I said.

"I know. I texted him to," he said nonchalantly, maybe a little irritated that I wasn't doing what he said.

"He told me about my father," I blurted out. Then the sound of the keyboard being pressed halted. "And he told me that he was juggling the transactions and the delivery all by himself."

"Are you worried that he's not making a good job at it?" I see Lucas frown. Well, yes I am worried that my family's business might be ruined by a wrong delivery or a wrong message sent to a wrong person. "If you are, I'd be happy to take care of it. Now fucking sleep."

"No," I said.

"No, you won't let me take care of it or no, you don't want to go to sleep?" Lucas eyes looked like they were challenging me. I ignore it. "Because if you choose the latter, I'm more than happy to tell the nurse to make you sleep."

"I'm taking care of it, Lucas," I corrected. "I told Chase I'll be glad to do the transactions, order the deliveries and finish some paperwork for the WCY."

"Not if I can help it," Lucas dared.

"It's my family's business and I want to—"

"Section A.9 of our contract says we merge legal and illegal businesses. Technically, it isn't just yours anymore."

"But we're not yet married. Technically the contract is ineffective," I countered.

Lukas chuckled. "Mari, the contract you and I signed has been effective—what?—five, six days ago," he started, shaking his head as he massages the bridge of his nose. "October 15th was supposed to be our wedding day. But everything that's gone down, the wedding didn't happened. Out contract, however, has been valid since then."

I frown. October 15th was supposed to be our wedding day? If I hadn't have this accident then Lucas would've been my husband? I blink away the confusion. "I don't care," I said. "Merge or not, I'm taking responsibility of my job and my business. I don't even know why I'm asking permission from you."

For a moment, Lucas wanted to protest again, but I stare him down. He sighs in defeat. "Fine. You've always been so stubborn anyway. So what's the point, right?"

"Exactly." Lucas eyes me for a few seconds then he returns his gaze back to the light of the laptop.

"When can I be discharged?" I asked, making small talk since sleep has flown out the window and into the cold streets of Mexico.