Capitolo X

I wake with a wicked headache. Sunlight graces the room from the open balcony widow. That's weird. I remember clearly closing it before passing out. I ignore it, thankfully for the air that let out the stench of spilled wine and sweat. I threw aside the duvet, sitting up from the edge of the bed and examining the white room. The wine bottle was still there but it was placed neatly on the table by the door, the used glass still on the complementary table and the gun still discarded on the floor. For a moment I stare at it, angry why I was afraid of it. Then came the memories with Freddy. The pain that never seemed to end invaded my thoughts, the smell of blood and the words that Freddy was saying. I wonder what would've happened if Lucas had really hit me.

Air blew the balcony curtain and the sunlight reflected on something shiny on the furry white carpet like a winking treasure, catching my eyes. I bend to take a closer look, realizing that it was the bullet the ceiling took from last night. Squinting, I stare upwards. And like I assumed, there was a nasty hole up there, a shape of a marble.

Just as I was about to pick up the used bullet, the knob on my door jiggled and a staff I think is knew came in, pushing the door open with her buttocks as she carries a glass of water and pill container.

"Miss Caty, you're awake," she jumped, her eyes grew with surprise as she sees me kneeling on the floor. "You don't have to pick that up, Miss. Mr. De Marchi has asked me to clean your room and bring you these."

I raised an eyebrow at her and I saw the way she retreated and gulped like she was afraid she said something to piss me off.

"What's that?" I asked, pointing at the orange cylinder.

"A-aspirin, miss." I opened my palm at her direction and she hands me the container cautiously like I'll bite if she takes another step. I take two on my palm and pop them in my mouth before taking the water from her, finishing it. "Mr. De Marchi also ordered me to call house maintenance to have that hole fixed, miss," she tells me as I finish the glass of water.

"Leave it," I said, giving her back the glass and forced myself on my feet. "Is Lucas still here..."

"Daphne, miss and yes, Mr. De Marchi is still here. He spent the night in the guest room."

I wanted to ask more but I can tell that the maid is scared out of her mind that I would pounce at her at anytime. Instead I asked, "And Chase?"

"Mr. Clifford dropped by earlier and left immediately to check on your father." The mention of my father snapped be back from my dazed state. Although Lucas and I have somehow settled things, I still have my father to worry about. I remind myself to give Chase a call and visit my father in the afternoon. Now, I just have to get through breakfast with Lucas. "And Mr. Clifford told me to tell you that Theresa Wills will be visiting tonight." The reason why Chase decided against calling me instead of instructing the help was beyond me. But nonetheless I'm grateful that I didn't have to waste time to call him. However I'm questioning whether or not I should cut a few dollars off his paycheck.

"Take the bottle with you when you leave," I pointed and started walking to the bathroom. After a quick shower, I descended the stairs wearing an oversize shirt and panties without a bra. I think giving Lucas a reason to be uncomfortable is the revenge I need from last night.

I casually dry my hair with a towel as I step into the kitchen, smelling the homey scent of toast and java. Daphne was buzzing inside the kitchen, settling plates and forks and knives. The place is eerie quiet without my father barking orders to the help that his coffee needs to be black or that the bread isn't properly buttered.

I sit in my spot, leaving my father's chair empty, dialing Chase's number on my phone as Daphne brings me a cup of coffee. I muttered my thanks and sip just as Chase answers the call.