Santelli-De Marchi: The Union

Coconuts will forever be my comfort scent, I thought as I close my eyes and inhale the coconut-scented candles and essential oil.

I woke up this morning feeling like a nervous wreck. But my nerves are now calm thanks to the three sticks of cigarettes, and a glass of wine I had for breakfast. Now I'm in the bath, my safe place, the only room in the house I know nobody could barge in. Not even Chase. Savor the moment, Caterina, my inner voice soothes. The last bath I'll have as a single woman. Just like the sleep I had last night was my last slumber as a Santelli. If you can call it sleep. I was tossing and turning the entire night, restless and frustrated that I cannot seem to find the right spot. I felt like I just closed my eyes when the alarm went off.

Today's the day. The day I officially started my mission to kill the people who had the audacity to exile my family. With Lucas officially my spouse by tonight, nothing could go wrong.

Speaking of Lucas, he and I hadn't talked after I brought up the question at dinner the night prior. He was quiet as he chewed on the lamb, and I made my migraine as an excuse to leave the room early. I couldn't stand the pregnant silence. Thankfully, Lucas didn't object, told me good night instead and watched me leave the dining room.

It will be okay, I reminded myself. Remember to have poise and grace. Several press had already arrived and I saw them through my balcony door, which I refused to open, which resulted in my room to smell like a factory. But no worries. At least the nerves have calmed.

I heard the door to my bedroom creek open and I opened my eyes and raised an eyebrow, frowning as I listened closely. It was like my little bubble of morning wine and coconuts popped as reality checked in.

"Chase!" I yelled from the tub, sighing deep to take control of my annoyance. "I told you 8 o'clock!"

Today should be filled with joy and love, nobody has to die, I repeated my mantra over and over waiting for the irritation to leave me. But Chase, or whoever is out there, seems to be challenging that.

He had barged into my room like a fucking mouse about to show me its newly sewn dress for the party. He was a loud ball of sunshine as he threw the curtains aside. It was six in the fucking morning! I wanted to rip his head apart and throw his midget brain in the balcony.

"It's your wedding day!" He perked with the tune from the animated film he claimed his dog loves so much. The one with the queen who left her people in a freezer. "The window's open, so is that—" He stopped when I threw a pillow at him. I told him to leave and specifically instructed to leave me in peace until 8. He complained, of course, but left anyway.

The sound of the door slamming returned me to my bubble. I reminded myself to learn now to lock my room, especially since Lucas and I are going to be staying in one bed. I wouldn't want Chase to barge in unannounced while we fuck. But I guess if that would teach him a lesson, I need it to happen.

A few moments of silence followed until, "I hope you're not planning on drowning yourself." I jumped inwardly but stayed still in the tub, closing my eyes and straightening my back, sighing my frustration away.

"And miss my own wedding?" I countered. I heard Lucas chuckle as he made his way towards me. "The next time you barge in my bathroom without knocking, I'll cut your dick and shove it in your mouth."

"Tsk. None of that, Mari," he whispered. I feel him crouch by the tub, resting his arms on the rim, probably staring at my bare face. "Now tell me."

"What?"

"Why does your room smell like a fucking chimney?"

I snort, debating whether or not I should answer that. Instead I said, "What are you doing here?"