The Bet

Disclaimer: Anything you recognise I don't own. Especially the idea which is from a movie called 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days'.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The dining hall was filled with excited chatter as everyone got ready for the first Monday lessons. The post came and hundreds of owls swooped into the room, dropping letters to students.

Lyria Salvatore, a sixth year Ravenclaw, laughed as her best friend Phoebe Mitchell grabbed for the letter that landed in her lap.

"Uhhhhhhhhahahhahahhhhhh!" Phoebe groaned a minute later as she read the letter.

"What happened?" Lyria asked as she helped herself to some bacon. Hogwarts really had the best food. She made a mental note to visit the house elves soon, they didn't get enough credit.

"Sean broke up with me."

"Over letter?" Her brunette friend nodded and hit her face against the table.

"What the fuck? Who does that?" Lyria put her bacon down and rubbed Phoebe's shoulders.

"Apparently Sean does." Phoebe mumbled with her face still down.

"I swear you didn't even like him that much though, you've only been dating for a week."

"That's not the poooiinnnnnttttttt." Phoebe moaned and banged her head against the table again.

"OK stop, stop." Lyria pulled Phoebe up and handed her a piece of bacon which she munched unhappily.

"You don't need him. Anyone who breaks up with someone as amazing as you isn't worth it."

"I don't care about not being in a relationship with him anymore! He was way to boring."

"OK......?" Lyria looked confused.

"Ugh you don't understand, it's the embarrassment of being broken up with. Like wondering what you did wrong. If I can't get bloody Sean Waters to like me, who will? That sort of thinking."

"Right. Wait no I don't agree with that, he's stupid for dumping you. I completely understand."

"No you don't. Literally no one ever breaks up with you. You are so amazing and I'm so annoying."

"That's not true!" Phoebe looked at her pointedly.

"Yes it is! I always do something annoying or clingy and they get scared or bored and leave."

"Yeah so does everyone! That's natural."

"When was the last time someone broke up with you?"

"Uh remember Sam? He broke up with me."

"That was mutual. It doesn't count."

"Fine, I'll make you a deal. I'll start dating someone and then make them break up with me in under twenty days."

"Pft no boy would break up with you." Phoebe went back to eating.

"I can be annoying!" Phoebe turned back to her.

"You're not being serious?"

"Of course I am."

"Fine."

"Fine."

"Fine." They both burst out laughing.

"What are you guys talking about?" Lily Evans called to them from two seats down where she was talking to her friend Marlene, a fellow Ravenclaw like them.