Howler

Disclaimer: Anything you recognise I do not own.

Two days of left of the bet.

Lyria and Phoebe were sitting at the Gryffindor table with Lily and Marlene, discussing how they were going to do their hair for the ball tomorrow. A single owl swooped in. 

"Bit early for post isn't it?"Lily said watching as it flow closer to them. Lyria went pale as she recognised the owl. It was her mother's.

"Do you want me to hex him? I can make it look like an accident." Phoebe asked as she saw the owl.

"Thanks." Lyria said wincing as the owl dropped a scarlet letter in front of her. The colour leeched completely from her face. 

"Best to get it over with." Marlene offered but Lyria hadn't taken her eyes off the letter.

"You dont understand her Mother is-" Phoebe was cut off as the Howler floated up and began its message.

"HOW DARE YOU DISGRACE THE HOUSE OF SALVATORE BY DATING THAT PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A BOY! YOU ARE TARNISHING OUR NAME AND IF I HEAR THAT YOU HAVE NOT BROKEN UP WITH THAT MUDBLOOD LOVER IN THE NEXT LETTER THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!" The howler screamed out its message, carrying on for another minute with insults to both her and Sirius. She was used to her Mother insulting her, but Sirius? That had her blood boiling. The howler ripped itself to shreds and the hall was silent. 

"Ugh soooo dramatic." Lyria rolled her eyes but the encounter had her trembling. A few people chuckled. The chatter rose again and soon the letter was forgotten. A few minutes later the maruaders came into the hall. Sirius laughed at something James had said and Lyria's stomach twisted. Her mother was wrong, he was the best thing that had happened to her.

"What was that noise?" James asked as he sat down next to Lily. The red head's cheeks flamed. 

"Lyria got a howler from her Mum." Phoebe offered, looking concerned. 

"Oh no what about?" Sirius asked throwing an arm around Lyria. She attempted a smile to brush it off but the encounter still had her close to tears.

"Oh just about me being a disgrace and...you." She saw the hurt that flickered across his eyes. Fear and nervousness was plastered on his face.

"What did she say?"

"Nothing true." Lyria tried a smile but failed miserably. Why couldn't she have a mother that was kind or loving? It wasn't fair. She pushed the food around her plate and stared at a spot at the table, blinking furiously to stop the tears. She missed the look the others sent each other. 

"You know what I think?" Lily announced. 

"We are going to have a slumber party tonight, in my dorm."

"Then we can spend tomorrow getting ready for the ball together." Marlene continued and Phoebe nodded her agreement. Lyria wasn't paying attention, lost in her thoughts. A pair of warm hands gripped her waist and she was lifted onto Sirius lap. She huffed in surprise as his arms came around her.

"You OK?" He murmured, scanning her face. She shrugged and hid her face in his neck as the tears she had tried to fight slipped out of her eyes. He hugged her tightly, hands stroking her head and back comfortingly. The others pretended not to notice, continuing their conversation. She leaned back, aware that she was soaking his shirt, and she sniffed. 

(AN:Gif at top, minus the beanie and with different clothes, same hairstyle though.)

"Sorry, m-my mother...she...they're blood purity freaks and it's...hard." She offered with a watery smile as her lower lip quivered. Sirius sighed and pulled her back into him.

"Oh sweetheart, I understand better than you know." He whispered into her hair. She snuggled into his side, hooking her arms around his neck She felt comfortable and so safe, she never wanted to leave his arms.

--------

Lyria slipped down the stairs quietly, hoping to read for a bit until she was tired enough to get to sleep. She was struggling to fall asleep despite trying for over three hours. The girls had all had a pamper evening and that was exhausting in itself. She stopped as she noticed a figure by the fireplace. 

"Sirius?" She walked up to him.

He clenched his jaw and looked away, blinked furiously. Lyria frowned as she recognised the signs, the denial. It was something that she did on a regular basis. He had helped her this morning, now she would help him.

"Hey, Sirius." She said softly to get his attention, he turned to her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and tugged him into a hug. He froze for a second before his arms came around her waist.

"Let go Sirius, it's ok to fall apart. It's just me." Lyria whispered in his ear and he shuddered. She felt a warm tear splash onto her neck followed by a quiet sob.

His arms tightened and he hung onto her as if she was a lifeboat and he was drowning.

"It's going to be okay, you're going to get through this. You are stronger than they are, they can't hurt you." She murmured to him as she ran her fingers through his hair. After a few minutes he pulled back and wiped his eyes.

"Thanks Lyria, I needed that. I had a nightmare, that they were hurting Reggie." He admitted.

"I'm here for you." She replied squeezing his shoulder in comfort and he smiled weakly back, eyes gleaming with an emotion she couldn't place. He looked down and frowned.

"What are you wearing?" She looked down and blinked. Shit. Lyria was wearing Sirius' quidditch hoody.

"Uh your hoody." She admitted.

"And why are you wearing it?" Embarrassment shot through her but she allowed it to, hoping to distract Sirius from whatever was bothering him.

"I was cold?" She attempted and his response was a crooked grin.

"You can't lie to me, love. Why are you wearing my hoody?" She sighed in defeat.

"Because it smells of you."

Sirius stared at her for a second and then broke into laughter. Lyria's heart swelled as she heard the bright noise. She would happily go through humiliation every day just to hear it.

"You can keep it-"

"Oh no I was just borrowing it!"

"It looks good on you." His stare purposely dropped to her feet before slowly moving back up. His gaze was a brand as it took in her naked legs and torso that was dwarfed by the hoody. Lyria swallowed and the sound caused Sirius to snap out of whatever daze he was in.

"Well I best be off." Lyria mentally whacked herself, 'I best be off'? What the fuck does that even mean? No one says that!

"Parting is such sweet sorrow." Sirius bowed and Lyria grinned as she walked backwards to the girls dormitory stairs.

"That I shall say good night."

"Till it be morrow." Sirius finished. He blew her a kiss and disappeared up the boys staircase. Lyria leaned her head against the cold stone, unable to wipe the smile from her face. 

Author's note: 

Damn three chapters in a day. I may do another one if I have time but I should probably be paying more attention cus I'm writing them in online school.