VI: Don't Tell My Dad

KAYLA

After spending the weekend with my parents, I finally sat down and realized that I'd completely forgotten about both my phone and Hakeem.

I powered on the device on my way into my dorm building and saw a few texts and calls from the man, stating his only worsening state of worry. I sent him a quick text assuring him that I was okay before reaching the doorway. Nothing had changed on the exterior; no guards, wires, nothing I could see with a naked eye. When I entered blabbering about my overprotective father, knowing Ebony would be able to understand, I didn't expect to turn and find her staring at me like a deer in headlights. The guilty form of my cousin's haphazard bed informed me that something had definitely happened in the short weekend I was absent.

I laughed at its state, "did a tornado come through while I was gone?"

As I finished speaking, a light skinned man near Hakeem's height walks in buttoning his white shirt— he stopped at the sight of me. I recognized the man from Saturday morning, when he'd aimed at the Tags.

Then I finally understood, "a tornado didn't come through, but someone definitely did."

Ebony scoffed in humiliation and rushed to the man's side, "really, Kayla?!"

I settled my hands on my hips, "who are you?"

The man introduced himself as Jamal in a deep voice, and was out of the dorm after quickly pecking Ebony on the lips. As I laughed at them again, Ebony became flustered and rushed Jamal out of the room completely. She locked the door behind him before accusingly glaring at me.

"Don't tell my dad, I know shit about you."

"Who was he?" I shot back.

Ebony sighed before explaining that Jamal was simply a longtime hookup that was convenient as he worked to guard her.

I shook my head, "the look in his eyes didn't say 'convenient hookup', Ebony."

My cousin immediately dropped her facade and darted to my side, "what did it say?"

I immediately knew they were much more then hookup friendly, "you've both got the love bug."

My answer allowed her a few seconds of elation before the sudden flop onto my bed, "you know how my dad is— him and Zion are basically the same!"

I nodded, "then we need to help each other out."

Ebony rolled her eyes, "we've been doing that since I learned how to talk, Kayla."

I huffed, "you can't keep going through these hookup-talking phases just because you're afraid of what Lucius might say or do."

"If I tell him what's been going on between Jamal and I, then he's definitely going to kill him and ask for your dad's help in hiding the body."

We speak about Jamal for an hour longer before he enters the room again, saying that Ebony's father wants to speak with her while wagging a cellphone in his hand.

Ebony stands, "speak of the Devil and he shall appear."

I happily watched my cousin be coaxed into a loving kiss before the door is closed between us, leaving me alone in the dorm room. I decided to call Hakeem, who answers the phone while panting, "Princess?"

I furrowed my brow, "are you okay?"

Hakeem laughs, "yeah, I've been down at your dad's gym for awhile though. He's been busting everybody's ass lately. Your mom put him out in the dog house or something?"

I laughed, knowing that my mother was the primary control for my dad's emotions, "not yet, he's just always wound tight. How are you?"

Hakeem scoffed and peppered me with questions instead, "you had me real worried, Kayla."

I apologized and informed him that I had serious family business and had turned my phone off to avoid any distractions.

He laughs, "so I'm a distraction now?"

I envisioned his muscular body dripping with sweat, "you sure are."

Hakeem's voice suddenly lowered seductively, "Don't get too sweet on me, Princess. You'll drive me crazy before we even get to our second date."

I hummed, "what makes you think there'll be a second one?".

He scoffs, "you're obviously obsessed with me, come on now."