XXII: Flipped Script { PT 2 }

KAYLA

By the time I had finished grilling my father, I knew almost everything he'd been keeping me in the dark about; he still refused every question and guess about Kadeem's location.

He dismissed Saul and I along with our guards, though everyone witnesses mama creating a makeshift bed on the downstairs couch.

I couldn't help but glance to the now silent pair in the corner either, probably trying their best not to be noticed; Elijah and Saul. I had known from the last 'family gathering' that my brother had something he was bursting at the seams to inform me of. In return, I was dying to know, but my father's tone scared us both up the staircase.

Saul and I rushed to the staircase, though watched our parents sneakily. Dad rushed up to mama after we were out of his sight, "I'm not sleeping on a goddamn couch, Gianna."

Our mother was emotionally void, "and I'm not sleeping beside a liar."

He throws the pillow aside anyway, and follows this by deconstructing her work carelessly as well, "I'm not leaving you on your own, Gianna. You know that I can't do that—"

"You should've thought about that before you lied to our family and kept us in the dark."

He doesn't yell as we suspected, but instead whispers brokenly, "how will you sleep?"

This doesn't surprise us as much, once again, seeing as how everyone knew dad would bend over backwards for our mother.

She shrugs, "it doesn't matter. My well-being obviously isn't at the top of your list, since you kept vital information from me and my babies."

Dad rushed to follow her up the staircase, which made Saul and I curse before competing on zipping into our rooms. I heard dad pleading to mama and soon banging on the door, but to no avail. When everything became quiet, I thought he'd left to remake his new bed downstairs.

I opened my door against the advice of Hakeem, and was shocked.

Dad was sitting with his back against the door, his arms on his knees and his head downcast.

"Dad?"

He sat up and put his head against the door behind him, "you here to give me shit too? Go on, I know I deserve it—"

I rushed to pull the sheets from my bed and nudge my father aside, covering us both.

Saul sneakily observed this and joined, "you act like this is your first time in the dog house."

This earned a sad laugh from our dad, "she's not going to forgive me this time."

I scoffed, "yes she will, she always does. Mama's just processing right now— she loves you just as much as you do her. You two never stay apart for long."

I knew he was hoping I was right as his Saul and I lie our heads on his shoulders, "I'm sorry for not saying anything. I thought it would be best if you didn't know, and all I did was cause more problems."

Saul sighed, "no worries, it's kinda cool to know the old man's still got it."

Dad chuckled, for real this time, "old man?"