xiii

Orla and her team had arrived back from Switzerland late the night before. The past two nights have landed Orla with eight hours of sleep in a past forty-eight hours. And now, as she was incredibly sleep-deprived and buzzing off of five cups of strong black coffee, she was walking into her department waiting to be yelled at by the fierce-looking man staring at her.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Travers yelled. "Ice shards? Bloody ice shards? You thought they were gonna stop a suspect? They would've impaled her before she ended up back here alive." There was a vein sticking out at the top of his semi-balding forehead, his eyes were bulging out of their sockets and his teeth were grinding against one another as he spoke. "I don't know what Fawley was thinking, but ever since you have arrived in this department you have been slacking, I think it's time you head back to Hogwarts and learn to get a better aim."

Sly snickers exited Archie Carrow's mouth as he tried to hold back his heavy laughter he was dying to let go. Orla gritted her teeth as she straightened her posture and her eyes narrowed into slits as she stared back at Travers.

"With all due respect, Torquil," Orla began, "my aim is immaculate, has been since I was a kid. You can stand there and question my judgements all you like but I know what was best, I wasn't aiming directly at her as like you said I would have impaled her and then she would be of no use to us." Travers raised his eyebrow as he stared at Orla, he went to open his mouth to speak but Orla carried on. "Black and I had it covered, she didn't see us so I caught her attention, the next thing I know she's charging at us and before Astrix could cast his spell, she realised and disapparated." Orla cracked her knuckles as she kept her eye on Travers, "as for Minster Fawley's judgement on hiring me, you and I both know I am more or a witch than you'll ever be of a wizard, he made the right decision and I will not have you belittle me because of it."

Andrew placed his hand on Orla's shoulder and rubbed his thumb along the back, "I knew you had a fierce side in you."

"Personally, I don't think it's fair you're just calling Orla out," Theo spoke up, "Astrix, Robbie and I were also there, Astrix from the same perspective as Orla and Robbie and I from our own."

"Is this correct, Robert?" Travers asked.

Robbie nodded his head, "yes, uncle."

'Uncle?' Orla thought, then suddenly the realisation hit.

"Then can you explain to me what you saw?"

"I saw Orla aim her wand and ice shards leave, narrowly missing the woman but as Orla said that was her intention," Robbie announced, "the woman ran towards Astrix and Orla and Theo ran after her from behind, Astrix cast a wordless charm and ropes left his wand but she disapparated before they caught her and instead caught Theo."

"Anything else?" Travers asked.

Robbie looked over at Orsino who was staring wide-eyed at his hand from which he burnt last night. Robbie looked back at his uncle and shook his head, "that is all."

"Fine," Travers sighed and walked towards the door. As he walked past Orla he lowered his voice, "don't miss next time."

Andrew let's go of Orla's shoulder as the door closes behind them. He clears his throat and goes to speak, "right, split back into your teams from yesterday. I want your paperwork on my desk before you all go home."

The teams split up and as Orla begins to walk towards Astrix, Andrew pulls Orla back by the hand, "are you okay, Orla?" Andrew whispers.

"I'm okay," Orla promises, "I've got to speak with Astrix, okay? I'll see you in a bit."

Andrew nodded his head and gently kissed Orla on her temple. "Good, but before you go," Andrew pulled her closer and whispered in her ear, "one of these boys is the mole, the only person it cannot be is Orsino, after yesterday it is clear that someone is working for or with Grindelwald."

Orla smiled and nodded her head at Andrew. "I know," she mouthed. She pecked him on the side of his mouth and walked towards her office.

"Astrix," she called. She signalled with her head to follow her into her office and he obliged.

Through the corner of her eye, she can see Charlie watching them both carefully, but she decides to avoid his gaze as they step into her office.

The door closes behind them and Astrix can feel Orla's gaze piercing in the back of his head. An uneasy feeling of nerves washes over them both as they both gulp down their fears and ignore the unsettling presence.

"You know who that woman was, don't you?" Orla let out.

Astrix slowly turned on his heel to face her, his head bobbing up and down as he confirmed Orla's suspicions. "I've met her before," Astrix admitted, "only by chance. I heard Andrew say to you that the mole is in this office and he's right."

"Who do you think it is?" Orla asked worryingly.

"I don't think, I know!" Astrix exclaimed. "That woman, as I said I've met her before, and her being there yesterday morning confirmed my suspicions of who on this team is the mole. Deep down you know who it is too Orla, you just don't want to assume it's the one person who has it out for you."

"The woman," Orla repeated, "how did you meet her in the past?"

"She's French," Astrix answered, "but she's also a cousin to the mole. She came to visit him when I first started, there was something in her eye that I couldn't quite let go of, the same sly smile that they both possess. The image of her face just remained in the back of my brain and then I saw her again and I knew who she was."

"The mole's on our team, isn't he?" Orla sighs as she looks to the floor, her shoulders dropping with her.

"Oh come one now, Orla," Astrix sighed as he walked over to her and reached out his hand to rest on her arm. "Don't be so naive, you know exactly who it is."

"Do you remember the woman's name?" Orla asked as she looked up at Astrix through her eyelashes.

Astrix nodded his head, his words ringing through her as he says the woman's name. The surname is all too familiar to her as she connects the dots.

"Victoria Carrow."

***

[A/N]

Hi, my lovelies.

Hella sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been working on other projects (such as MY OWN novel!! Which is very exciting for me).

I am officially a second-year university student as of last month and have been jam-packed with work, until last week when one my flatmates tested positive for covid, but fear not I got tested and it came back negative but I still have to quarantine until the end of the week. So I have been writing away for this book (and my own).

Hopefully should have some more chapters out soon!!

Lots of love :*