ii

It was late, very late, in fact, all of Orla's colleagues left at 5 o'clock, several hours ago. As Orla was getting ready to leave there was a knock at her door and professor Gowdie walked into her office.

"How was your first day?" Edmund asked, startling Orla as she thought it was her fiance.

"Professor Gowdie, don't scare me like that!" Orla sighed as she put her hand on her chest, feeling her heart thump against the skin after Edmund startled her. She turned back to packing her bag and he carried on the conversation.

"Orla, how many years have I been telling you to call me by my name?" He asked, "why do you still call me professor? I haven't taught you in 12 years."

Orla smiled, "because, professor, you may have not taught me in a classroom for 12 years, but you still teach me valuable life lessons at least once a week."

"I expect you heard about Leta's death," Professor Gowdie changed the topic of conversation, Orla stopped what she was doing and turned her head to look at him over her shoulder. "I know she's a difficult conversation topic for you, but Newt is your closest and oldest friend, Orla. Fawley told me you would only go see Newt, but you need to check on them both Orla, that's how this type of thing works."

"You told him to tell me to go check on them!" Orla said in disbelief. "Professor Gowdie, you are well aware of the circumstances between Theseus and I, for Merlin's sake I haven't seen him in 6 years, don't you remember that letter I sent you explaining everything that had happened?"

"Orla, listen to me. Your brother has tried to get through to him, believe me. I knew you would be the only person who could get through to them both, but I knew you wouldn't take the advice from me to go see them that's why I told Fawley," Edmund sighed, "please Orla, give me your word that you will see them. The entire department is worried about them, Dumbledore is incredibly worried about them, and he and I both know you're the only one who can make them better. Newt chose a side Orla, he never does, you said yourself."

"That's the reason I still call you professor, another life lesson," Orla attempted to give him a small smile.

"Orla, not only do I think you'll help them both, but you'll finally get the closure you deserve. You haven't seen Theseus since you broke up, and that was 6 years ago," Edmund added, "I get that you're with Andrew now, and he treats you 100 times better than Theseus ever did, but you didn't get the closure you so desperately needed."

"I accepted a long time ago that I wasn't going to get any closure from Theseus, professor. I learned to accept that, just how I learned to pick myself up off of my feet," Orla sighed, "I don't want anything to do with Theseus other than Newt, and I know this will sound so spiteful but I really couldn't care less about Theseus."

"Orla Kervoy. You and I know damn well you do care for Theseus, deep down you're still hurt and this talk of not caring for him is the built-up hatred you have for him, deep down there are still feelings for him but you suppressed them," Edmund raised his voice, "don't lower yourself to the same standard Leta showed you."

"I hate how you're always right," Orla sighed. "I'll make sure he's okay, you know I will but I just don't want to get hurt again."

Edmund nodded his head, "you're doing the right thing, Orla. Newt and Theseus really need you right now."

The two friends walked out of Orla's office together and bumped into Andrew, Orla's fiance in the process. Andrew caught Orla as she bumped into him and he smiled down at her. Andrew looked back up to Edmund and smiled, "professor."

"Andrew, good to see you. I'll leave you two to it," Edmund bid the two goodbye and left the department. "I expect you to do the right thing, goodbye Orla."

Andrew wrapped his arms around Orla's waist and looked down, "I was wondering what my beautiful girlfriend was doing tonight."

"Girlfriend? I knew we should've gotten married within the year of getting engaged you've already forgotten," Orla rolled her eyes.

"I apologise, miss Kervoy. I swear when we do get married I will remember to refer to you as my wife, but for the time being you're going to have to get used to me referring to you as my girlfriend for another 10 months," Andrew smiled. He looked at his watch and back at Orla, "you're here late, are you off home now?"

Orla shook her head, "I promised Gowdie that I'd go check up on Newt, I guess you heard about Leta."

Andrew nodded his head, "Theseus is in the office moping about and crying every 5 minutes, don't get me wrong it's horrible what happened to Leta and I'm sure I'd be the same if not worse if that was you, but he just won't accept anyone's help, not even Vaughan's."

Orla rolled her eyes once again, "it doesn't surprise me, that boy has always been stubborn. Thankfully, Newt isn't as temperamental so it's easier to get through to him."

"Has Newt told him about our engagement yet?" Andrew asked. Orla shook her head and Andrew sighed, "I don't even think he knows we're together, Vaughan doesn't have the heart or the balls to tell him."

"I really don't think now is the best time to tell him either, the poor man is in pieces if anything telling him would make him worse," Orla said softly, "I just wish we told him sooner."

Andrew nodded and let Orla go, "you'd better hurry if you want to catch Newt, if Theseus goes home before you leave..." Andrew hesitated. "Just be careful, okay?"

Orla nodded and kissed her fiance on the cheek. Andrew walked her out to the main lobby and the two bid each other goodbye.

Orla disapparated out of the ministry, within seconds Orla was outside the Newt's front door. Before she knocks, she looks down at her ring finger, she contemplates it for a second. Orla decides to go with the feeling inside of her and removes her engagement ring and places it in her bag.

Orla walked up the steps and when she arrived at the front door she knocked, now beginning the wait to see if anyone would answer.