xxiv

Orla hadn't heard Andrew come in during the night, but as she rose early from her sleep she found her deceitful fiancee sleeping peacefully next to her. With daylight barely inching its way in through the window, Orla gently creeped out of bed trying not to disturb Andrew, her eyes skimmed over the vibrant blue and purple hues plastered around his left eye. Rolling her eyes, Orla quietly slipped out of their bedroom.

She found herself humming as she strided to the kitchen. Today was a big day for her, and she knew apparating to the Scottish Highlands would weaken her severely, so a big breakfast was in order.

Fresh sausage patties, bacon sizzling in the background and eggs sunny-side up; Andrew walked into the kitchen fully dressed and ready to work. Orla hadn't heard him get up, washed and dressed, but their eyes met and the lingering tension couldn't even be cut with a knife, perhaps a really sharp katana would do the trick.

"Good morning," Andrew coughed, "how were you yesterday?"

"Morning," Orla chimed. Happy appearances, Andrew mustn't suspect a thing, "tired, I spent half the day asleep, Newt woke me up but he wasn't here long."

"I let him in," Andrew confessed, "thought you'd be awake already, sorry."

Orla shrugged as she plated up the bacon. "It's fine, apparently there was an urgent situation in Hyde Park." She pushed one of the plates towards Andrew, "would you like some toast?"

Andrew squinted his eyes as he looked to and from the plate and Orla. "What did I do to deserve a lovely breakfast?" Hesitation was prominent in his voice, almost as if he was scared that Orla would poison him.

Orla relaxed her shoulders as he stared at him, "I don't want to argue with you over breakfast. In fact, I don't want to argue at all. Let bygones be bygones, and put that shit behind us."

"I appreciate the sentiment and I agree, besides I've missed having breakfast with you," Andrew admitted. He peered around the room, noticing a jacket which most certainly wasn't his or Newt's hanging on the coat rack. "Who else stopped by yesterday? Charlie?"

Orla looked in the same direction, her brother's coat still hung up, "Vaughan, actually."

"Checking up on you?"

"No, rambling some shit about Travers' wanting me to have a wellness check," Orla found herself shrugging again, "not sure when though, I heard things are pretty busy in the office." Orla looked at her fiance, who in turn looked at her strangely. "What happened to your eye?"

Changing the subject should do the trick.

"I walked into the department of magical accidents and catastrophes without knocking."

Orla's face lit with amusement and disbelief, mainly because she had heard a different story from Newt and it was more evident now that he was lying.

"Rule one of the ministry..." Orla scoffed. "Don't walk into magical accidents without knocking," Andrew and Orla recalled every new ministry hirer's introduction speech.

"You forget these things after almost ten years," Andrew spoke through his last bite of his breakfast. "I have to go, I'll try and find out when Travers' wants to do your wellness check."

Andrew came around the breakfast bar, placing his plate in the sink. As he turned, he leaned over and kissed Orla gently on the forehead. "Thank you for breakfast," he smiled, running his thumb along her cheekbone, "I love you, and I'll see you after work."

Orla returned the smile, for a moment she was back in her happy place, "I love you too," she replied, almost forgetting everything that could lead to the demise of her impending marriage, "behave at work, don't get a matching black eye."