xix

"Alright you lot, squish in together a bit more," Vaughan ordered, his free hand flapping to the side of the camera as he directed them to where they should stand.

Orla's feet shuffled as she grew closer into Charlie's abdomen. Squeeze tightly in between Charlie and Astrix, she wrapped her arms around both men's waist, before looking down at Orsino who was lying on his side across Robbie's desk. She laughed at him as he caught her looking and the next thing they both knew, Vaughan had snapped the photo.

"A couple more," Vaughan said. "This time, act casually, so Robbie sit at your desk. Orsino, sit on the corner, Theo grab your chair and sit next to Robbie. Charlie, Trix and Orla do your own thing. But, don't forget to smile."

Astrix nodded, pulling out a feather from his pocket. Before Orla could ask questions, he was already tickling it on her nose. She swatted his hand and the feather away, but Charlie grabbed a hold of her wrist. Orla laughed as she tried not to sneeze whilst Astrix continued to tickle the feather against her nose. Vaughan snapped the photo and Astrix stopped, Charlie let go of Orla's wrist and Orla shook her head.

"You dicks," Orla groaned.

Astrix moved his mouth to speak, but the loud roar emitting from the fireplace cut him off and made them all jump out of their skin. Theo shh'd everyone and hurried over to the fireplace, it was usually a warm amber, but the flames had settled to a deep seething red, like blood pulsing out of an open wound.

As Theo neared, a single piece of parchment flew out, Theo caught it in his hand as he avoided the flames still burning the old sheet. He saw Orla's fiance's name written at the bottom and gulped, his gut twisted behind his skin and he knew straight away that something was wrong.

"Vaughan and the hit wizards; get to the old crystal palace subway immediately, we've been compromised and need urgent back up, Andrew." Theo read out, turning back to face the group.

The six of them all looked to Orla but she was already on the case, raring and ready to go, wand in hand and her hair tied back into a tight ponytail. None of them saw her do it, but just like Theo had known, she had known that there was something wrong just by the colours of the flames.

"We need to get the rest of our team down to the subway first," Orla said, her voice sharp and filled with authority. "Orsino, Charlie - you go after the hit wizards in Forest Hill. Robbie, Theo - you after the hit wizards in Greenwich. Vaughan and Astrix, you're with me, we'll go straight to the subway. Boys, we'll meet you there, be as quick as possible, we don't know how bad this situation is."

The seven of them all run towards the door, wands in hands, sprinting as fast as they can. Just hours before, Orla wandlessly and wordlessly opened the door to their department, and in with her veins pumping with adrenaline she did it again, only this time it was fiercer and harsher, and they could have all sworn the the door had fallen off one of its hinges.

Each one of them disapparated without a trace, the door slamming back behind them leaving the room in utter silence besides the crackling of the log fire which had turned its flames back to a golden amber hue.

Orla apparated on a road side, feeling the fresh spring breeze blow against her body as she looked around for her brother and Astrix. They ran towards her, and without a word, the three of them crouched down behind the wall, spying on the people in front of them.

Andrew, Theseus and Newt were hiding behind the pillars that hold the subway up, including Blishwick, King and Greengrass from Orla's team of hit wizards. The six of them were looking back around the pillars and darting their heads back whenever a new curse was thrown at them by Archie, Victoria and a couple of the others they had file's against.