Chapter 14 (H)

Malfoy had no idea where he was going. He just ran. He ran like his life depended on it. He tore through the trees, branches pulling at his already tattered dress shirt. After a while, Malfoy sunk to the ground, letting his tears fall.

George's owl came with a response.

'I think you need a bit more time. Send me an owl in three days if you still wish to leave.'

Hermione hastily put the note aside.

Lucius, Narcissa, and Hermione walked through the forest, their wands illuminating the area. They wandered for what seemed like an eternity, when in reality it couldn't have been for more than an hour. The sun was beginning to rise, and Hermione was getting increasingly concerned. It wasn't long however, before Hermione spotted a figure huddled on the ground against a tree trunk.

Draco heard footsteps behind him and he quickly leaped up, turning around. It was Hermione. Still wearing the black dress. Malfoy stared at her. She stared back. The two stood there, probably about six feet away from each other, both of them completely frozen.

Narcissa and Lucius emerged out of nowhere, and quickly ran up to Draco, enveloping him in a hug. Draco however, continued to stare at Hermione over his parent's shoulders-- A deep broken sort of hurt etched into his features. Hermione shrunk back but she didn't dare break eye contact with Malfoy.

"What happened?!" Narcissa asked Draco, pulling away from him and cupping his face in her hands.

"Just needed an escape," Draco mumbled.

The four of them began walking back to Malfoy Manor. Though Draco had been running for a long time, he wasn't running away. He was almost running in circles. It took twenty minutes to make it back to the gates. Not a soul was in sight, but the ghost of a party loomed in the atmosphere. The smell of champagne and and a lively air hung around the manor.

The masquerade ball was almost like a fever dream. Draco and Hermione shared glances as Lucius and Narcissa entered the house. Hermione took Draco's hand and pulled him back before he entered.

"Draco--" Hermione began. Draco looked at her, his expression cold and hard. It was as if he was scared to show any sort of emotion. "Can we start over?" Hermione asked.

"You're asking for us to start over after that?" Draco asked, gesturing his hands to nowhere in particular. "I pour out my very soul, you rip my heart out, and now you want to start over?" A tear escaped from Hermione's eye.

"Then why don't we just go back to hating each other." She said, trying to keep composure.

"From what you said earlier, I don't think you ever stopped hating me." Malfoy said coldly. Before Hermione could respond, Draco pushed past her and entered the manor. He climbed the stairs, throwing open his bedroom doors. He tore off his shredded shirt and got under his covers. Hermione's words mercilessly echoed in his subconscious as he tried to fall asleep.

'Tonight is where it began, and this is where it ends.'