Arriana's Return - Chapter 58

Chapter 58

Sighing heavily, Arriana moved her hand to the lock on the cell, swallowing hard she sent a slight jolt of electricity through it. The door swung open with a loud creak and Henry stepped over the threshold. He stood over her, grasping her arms. Had she just made an erroneous mistake? Her breath caught in her throat as he slipped his hands down and around her waist, pulling her in closer.

He hugged her. She closed her eyes as her arms slid up and around his neck. After a few moments, he pushed her back far enough so he could see her face. His normally pale, white cheeks were pink. His head began to slowly lower towards hers until their lips met. His soft, warm mouth felt like velvet against hers. Arriana felt Henry's lips quivered slightly against hers. They lingered there for a bit before slowly parting, breathing heavily.

"I need your help, Henry."

"I know."

They walked out of the jail, toward the library. They had to save Caleb.

Arriana spent the night pouring over the spell and potion books but to no avail. Barwick and Beau were right; nothing existed to bring life into a person.

There has to be some way. There has to be something I am missing. I need to find something that can give Caleb back his life. A potion that will extend his life. Okay Arriana, what has a long life. What gives life? Well, I have a long life. Too bad he can't just take a bite out of me. Hmm, what if he could...would that work?

At the epiphany she just had, Arriana jumped up and ran back to the house. Panting she burst through the door. Everyone was still awake.

"Me!" she panted breathless.

"You?" Deacon looked confused.

"Yes. I have the gift of longevity," Arriana stated.

"Yes, you do. How does that help Caleb?" Mary asked.

"What if we could make a potion using some of my blood. Would that work?" she asked.

"I don't know. Nothing like that has ever been done before," Barwick mused.

"There is a first for everything." Arriana smiled and put a book she had read at least three times that night on the table.

"See, this is a potion to extend the quality of life in plants. What if we would switch around some ingredients and somehow make it to extend life in people?" she asked.

"It could work in theory. Okay so what would we use and what would be eliminated?" Henry stepped up next to Arriana looking down at the book.

"That's what I don't know." Arriana looked at the ingredients even more frustrated.

"What gives life or longevity?" Marc asked.

"Arriana's blood, unicorn horn, bamboo, mums, juniper, apples. I don't know what else," Henry said, trying to think of more.

"How do you know that?" Deacon eyed him curiously.

"I may be from the Dales but we do have books there and I am educated," he shot back.

"That is plenty. We need someone to collect all of them," Barwick said, trying to turn the tension back to Caleb.

"I'll go." Arriana stood up getting a piece of paper to copy down the new ingredients.

"I'll go with you." Deacon stepped forward.

"I don't think so," Henry laughed.

"Why not?" Deacon questioned.