Arriana's Return - Chapter 46

Chapter 46

Arriana walked toward the makeshift prison the following morning. The guards posted out front the night before stood and opened the door for her.

"Good morning, gentleman."

The prisoners turned to look at her. "I'm sorry for interrupting your breakfast. Did you all sleep well last night?"

One of the older men, who couldn't have been over thirty stood up. "Yes, ma'am we did. Thank you for showing mercy and kindness to us."

"What is your name?" Arriana asked.

"I'm James."

"James. That's a nice name."

"Thank you," he replied.

"Have you all thought about what I asked you last night? Will you join us?" she inquired.

"Some of us will. Others have decided to remain loyal to Lucas," James answered.

"Okay. Those who are joining us please stand to the right side of the room, those who will not go to the left," she instructed.

"Will you kill those who are not going to join you?" another younger boy asked.

"No. You will not be harmed no matter your decision. I promise you that."

The men and boys stood up and split. Forty of the once armed men went to the right while twenty went to the left.

"Good. Okay those who are on the right please line up by the door. The rest of you may go about your business. If you would like I can have books brought to you to read."

Arriana turned and headed toward the door. She pushed it open and headed to another small building with her new recruits in tow.

"Okay men. This is Aramon. He is the swords master. He will instruct you on how to fight. For those who would rather learn how to use a bow and arrow, Barwick and Marc are the trainers. Will you be able to fight against Lucas?" She asked them.

They whispered amongst one another then looked at Arriana.

"Yes, we can fight against Ki, er I mean Lucas," James said.

"After the battle, will we be able to go back home?" the boy from the day before asked.

"Yes, of course. What is your name?"Arriana asked.

"I'm George."

"George, where are you from?"

"I'm from the northern mountains"

"I see. You have family there?" Arriana questioned.

"Yes."

"Very good. Once the battle is finished you may all return home."

There were more excited whispers among the new men.

"What are they doing out of the prison? They should die for what they did to us!"

Arriana turned to see a young woman standing nearby yelling.

"No. They will not die. I gave them a choice. This is how they want to redeem themselves. They are joining our army and helping to defeat Lucas," Arriana replied calmly.

"They killed my family! Why should they have a chance to redeem themselves? They need to die the same way that our families did. Without mercy." Arriana heard one of the boys behind her cry.

"They were only following orders from Lucas. Look at them. Most of them aren't even teenagers yet. They're just little boys. You cannot hold a grudge against these boys and men for following orders. Save your anger and hatred for the battle. Use it when we fight against the man who decided your families should die. These men trusted Lucas to steer them in the right direction. They thought Lucas was telling them to do the right thing. They thought we were going to kill them. Do you see them? They are like us. They want to go home to their families. Too see their children, mothers and fathers. They want to live in peace and be prosperous. Just like all of you," Arriana said to the growing crowd.