Arriana's Return - Chapter 40

Chapter 40

She was lost in her thoughts yet again when she heard someone walking toward her. Sitting up she saw Deacon moving across the small field. She leaned against her elbows admiring him. His black hair shone in the moonlight and she could see the clear blueness of his eyes even in the dark. She smiled up at him as he sat beside her. He reached his hand up and ran his fingers through her soft hair. Arriana sighed while he wrapped her hair around his fingers and pulled her in close. Her heart began to beat harder and faster. She reached her arms up and wrapped them around his neck and into his hair.

"Deacon, I have to ask you something," she said, gazing into his eyes.

"What's that my queen?" he whispered into her ear.

"Why me? Why not go after Zoe or one of the prettier girls in town?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" He pulled away from her staring back into her eyes.

"Well, look at you. You're amazingly gorgeous and I'm..." her voice trailed off.

"Arriana, you are beautiful."

"No, Deacon. I'm not. I'm average at best. You deserve someone better than me. Someone who you can look at and not regret being with."

"Do you honestly think looks are all I care about? Do you think I'm so shallow that I would only care about a woman if she were gorgeous? You are an amazing woman Arriana. You've shown so much maturity in the past few weeks I'm just amazed. You're kind hearted, compassionate, sweet, caring...need I go on? You know what, I will. You're beautiful, absolutely beautiful," He pushed a stray hair out of her face smiling.

Arriana stared back at Deacon for a while longer.

He is perfect. I can't believe all the girls there are and he likes me! I guess the normal, average girl can win sometimes.

Her face flushed as Deacon stared into her eyes. She was so sure that he could hear her heart thumping in her chest. It seemed like an eternity before their lips finally met. As they kissed, Arriana slowly leaned back so she was laying on the rock. She could feel his hot and heavy breath breathing against her mouth. His lovely eyes closed. Once the kiss was done he smiled down at her. Her soft lips had the hint of a smile creeping across them. They did not speak. They just lay next to each other, arms wrapped around one another and exchanging kisses. Arriana's heart still pounded in her chest. She had never felt such a way before.

"Arriana," Deacon finally spoke up.

"Yes?"

"I have to, um, tell y-you something," he stammered.

"What is it?" Concern flooding her voice.

"Well, I've never felt this way about a girl before," he said, avoiding her eyes.

"Really?"

"Yes," he said sheepishly.

"I've never felt this way either," she said with a smile.

He finally looked up at her and kissed her again. As they watched the stars Arriana sat up and looked around.

"What's wrong?" Deacon asked.

"I'm not sure." Arriana stood up and walked towards the wooded area.

"Addi, don't go too close to the woods!" he whispered after her.

"I'm fine." She continued to walk into the woods a few feet. "We need to get Barwick and Marc. Now!"

She turned and ran in the direction of the house they were all staying in. Once at the house she ran to her trunk and pulled out her sword tying the scabbard around her waist. Everyone stood up and looked at her.