Arriana's Return - Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"Addi!" Deacon interrupted her thoughts.

"Oh, hey Deacon."

"Are you ok?" he asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just lost in my thought." She smiled at him.

"Are you sure? You seem so distant." He furrowed his brow and cocked his head to the side. She knew he was worried.

Sighing heavily. "Deacon, don't worry. I'm just trying to adjust to all of this. I mean just a few days ago I was Arriana James, captain of Smithtown swim team and today I'm Arriana Bawors, queen of Coresova. An orphan and going into battle. I can't even stand the sight of blood. How am I supposed to kill someone?"

"You learned a lot today I can completely understand you getting lost in thought. Please don't think about the battle yet. I know it's going to be hard but you need to focus on training. We all do. We need to build up our sword fighting skills and our powers." He said sympathetically.

"Thanks Deacon and I know. I just tend to worry a lot. Even the queen has flaws." She laughed lightly.

They stopped walking when they reached Barwick's porch and sat on the steps. Deacon tentatively put an arm around Arriana's shoulders. Enjoying having the comfort of someone and there being no risk of anymore bad news she relaxed against him. Arriana looked up at the night sky and reflected more on everything she had been told.

Lucas has murdered over 6,000 people. My entire family. He secretly recruited witches and wizards. What if there are traitors among us now? What if he has people here? What if this little village of survivors has been compromised?

As she was thinking, Deacon sat there starring at her. He reached his hand up to her face and gently caressed her cheek. Arriana closed her eyes and enjoyed the warmth of his hands against her cold skin. She reached her hand up and put it over top of his. Turning her gaze so that she was starring into his eyes, they just smiled at each other.

"Deacon..." Arriana began.

"Shh."

He leaned in close to her. She could feel his warm breath on her lips. Breathing heavily, Arriana's bottom lip quivered just a bit which made Deacon smile. After pausing a few more moments Deacon ran his hands through Arriana's soft and luscious blonde hair. Starring dreamily as it fell through his fingers and landed softly on her shoulders and back. He gently brushed a stray hair out her eye and let his hand rest on the back of her neck. He slowly pulled her closer to him until their lips were a few centimeters apart. Arriana's breath caught in her throat. She could tell a smile was playing at his lips again. She wished that he would stop teasing her. She suddenly felt the warmth of Deacons lips against hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pushed herself into him, not wanting the moment to end. He wrapped his free arm around her body and kissed Arriana even deeper. After a few minutes their lips parted, they were breathing heavily and slowly opened their eyes again. She felt weak as she glanced into his emerald green pools.

Not bad for my first kiss.

"Addi, I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me," Deacon whispered.

As he looked up, she could tell his cheeks were turning a deep shade of red.

"Deacon, shut up and kiss me again," she whispered back, letting a smile slyly play on her lips this time.

She ran her fingers through his thick, black hair, pulling him back into her and kissing him more passionately. Arriana felt Deacon's lips part slightly as he let his tongue play on the edge of her lips. A shudder of warmth ran a tingling course to Arriana's core. The magical kiss ended and they both sat back, not speaking.

"Deacon, that was amazing," Arriana gushed.

"Really?"

"Mm hmm, in fact that was my first kiss," she replied sheepishly.

"It was? I was your first?" he asked not able to hide the shock on his face.

"Well yeah. It's not like I go around kissing everyone."

"Oh, I know that. I just, well, didn't expect to be your first kiss. That's all."

"Okay. Well, we have a big day tomorrow. I'm going to go to get some slee," she told him.

"We do?"

"Yes we do. We start our training tomorrow," she replied with a big grin on her face.

"Oh, yeah. That's right. I forgot." Deacon ran his hands through his hair and looked down at the ground.

Arriana leaned in, gave him a quick peck on the cheek, and headed into the house.

"Well, my young queen, do we have love blossoming in the air?" a man's voice questioned from the kitchen table.

"Oh geez, Barwick! You scared the living daylights out of me!" she exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, Arriana. I didn't mean to."

"You saw us kissing?" she asked, her cheeks turning pink with embarrassment.

"Yes I did. He is a fine young man, a brave man and gentle soul. He would make a great king someday." He smiled at her.

"Um, I don't know about all that Barwick. I mean we're not even, you know, together. It was just a kiss. It probably meant nothing to him. Plus we're only seventeen. I'm so not ready for marriage," she told him.

"That kiss looked like it meant something to him and I didn't mean right now." He laughed his hearty laugh.

"I guess. Do you really think he'd be a good king?" Arriana asked glancing out the window at the boy who was still sitting on the porch.

"I do. He's strong, brave and he's falling in love with you. If I may be so bold I believe you're falling in love with him. Now go to bed. Aroman will be here first thing in the morning for the three of you."

"Yes, I was actually headed to bed. Do you know where Beau is?" Arriana asked looking around for the dog.

"He's already at the couch waiting for you." Barwick motioned towards the big couch.

"Beau there you are! You ready to get to sleep?"

Yawning, the big dog looked up with his sleepy eyes.

"Oh my poor pudgy budge! You look exhausted!" Arriana gave Beau a big hug as she climbed onto the couch.

"Pudgy budge? Beau old' boy are you getting soft on me?" Barwick jousted with the old dog.

"Barwick, don't make me tell your stories." Beau grunted sleepily.

"Ho, what stories would that be?" Barwick dared him.

"Do you remember that night at the Bull and Cactus? Drinking all the gourd beer? Do you remember?"

Barwick got quiet and looked back at his book.

"Yeah that's what I thought, old man." Beau said laughing at the big man who was sitting next to his window.

Arriana curled up on the couch with Beau at her feet and slipped into a restful sleep.