Chapter 15 - Say what? | Dax

For once everything is good. I know I still have obstacles to get through, like mom and my sisters, but I feel calm for some reason and I think that reason is named Olivia.

I can't remember the last time I felt like this. It was probably when I was about seven and still believed in Santa Claus but that was a long time ago. A lot has happened since then.

But I am not going to dwell on that for long. Today is gameday and I know we will kick our opponents asses. We have been training hard and smart for this game. It will probably be a close one but I have confidence in us, we have been in perfect sync with each other this whole season and it feels like nothing can stop us.

What makes me even more sure of our coming victory is that I have Olivia on the stand cheering for me. I am after all a man and knowing that my woman is sitting up there, watching my every move, is making me work even harder. Nothing gets past her and since she seems to be some football genius, I have to go all in.

"Good day boys!" I yell in a joyful way as I enter the dressing room and I see about ten people standing in the corner discussing something serious by the way it looks.

"Oh shit, he's here" I hear someone whisper among their group and I turn towards them.

"What?" I ask. They are all looking at me in an uncomfortable way and I don't like this at all.

"Nothing, great game last week!" Willis tries to deflect the attention.

"It was not nothing, were you guys talking about me?" I take a few steps toward him and I can see the conflict written all across his face. Whatever it was he doesn't want to be the one telling me.

"If you have something to say, say it to my face and not behind my back like a coward!" I yell at him and some of my teammates jump in front of me.

"Woah Dax, don't go mad on us just yet, save it for the game" Bruce tries to calm me but it's not having any effect.

"No, I want to know what that piece of shit said about me" I yell determinedly.

"Man just chill, nothing bad. Let's take it after the game over a beer" Bruce tries to meddle but it is not working. Not at all.

"No, I am not having this shit. What did that loser say?!"

"Just tell him" Someone from within the group says and I agree with that person "Yeah, tell me!".

My earlier peaceful state and mood is long since gone and I just want to get this over with. Is it one thing I hate it's people lying to your face. Obviously it can't be good since they all went silent the moment they saw me.

"Have you ever been in coach's office?" Willis says after a while of contemplating this.

"Yeah, many times" I answered. This started off in a way I was not expecting.

"You know he has all these frames with earlier students, awards and so on?" I nod a 'yes' at his question. I have looked at those pictures with him and famous athletes with longing eyes many times.

"He has this one frame with the back turned towards the visitor always, never showing the motive" I am beyond confused now at his words. Why the hell are we discussing the pictures in coach's office?

"He accidentally knocked that one down when I was in earlier and I saw something on that picture that I don't think you are going to like" he is really dragging out the words by now, visibly uncomfortable as hell with this.

"What was on it?" I don't know why this has anything to do with me but a sinking feeling in my gut takes a firm place.

"It was a picture of coach with what I assume is his daughter at her high school graduation proudly hugging each other" I looked at him and let out a slight laugh, that's it?