Chapter 23 - Third time's the charm.. not | Olivia

I have never felt more uncomfortable than I do right now. It is pure torture to sit in this bus with the whole team heading home from our thanksgiving game that we unfortunatley don't had on our turf. That would at least have saved me from this awkward situation.

I briefly considered skipping this game, but I know that will not only make me a coward but an idiot also. I know for a fact that me skipping out such an important game would not be good for my grade.

The next best option was to borrow a car from someone, anyone, and gone myself but dad put those plans in the trashcan and told me that I either ride with the guys or don't bother to show up at all.

The only thing that makes it a tiny bit better is that we won and Dax is not with us on the bus with us back home. I had to endure the feeling of Dax's burning gaze the whole way to the game, or at least it felt like he was staring me down the whole way, I have no way of knowing if he actually did.

Once we got there and started prepping for the game I kept my distance on the sidelines and I managed to keep half a football field between me and Dax at all times. I am pretty proud of that accomplishment.

I know that avoiding him is definitely not the best way of handling things but I didn't want to risk it with the game and everything and I didn't want to be the reason he lost his focus.

"Well hello there stranger" Dom says with a wide smile on his face and sits down beside me. He is the last one on the bus so we can finally leave.

"Well hello to you too, great played tonight"

"That means a lot, I know what a tough critic you are '' I looked at him confused and after a few seconds of me looking like a question mark until he finally explained.

"Dax told me, you are apparently a walking and talking lexicon when it comes to football"

"I am not!" I was not that bad was I?

"Don't worry, he always meant it in a positive way" he gives me a wink like that explains it all and I suspect that's all I am getting from him about that.

"How is Dax getting home?" I had promised myself I wouldn't ask because it is none of my business but my curiosity is eating me up from inside.

"There was apparently some kind of family crisis but he wanted to play the game so he struck a deal with coach and he is taking a detour on his way home" Dom explains while he scrolls his phone in an unbothered way but my stomach sinks. If Dax is having a family crisis it can't be good.

"What, do you know what happened? Is everyone okay? Is he okay?" I ask in a rapid pace as my heartbeat picks up. I really hope nothing too bad has happened.

"Slow down, take a deep breath.. In and out... You know if you wasn't so hell bent on avoiding him all day you could have asked him yourself"

"And you think he would have told me?" I ask him, laced with sarcasm. I know for a fact that he wouldn't have told me shit.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, he misses you, you know"

"He has a weird way of showing it" I point out and look towards the roof of the bus. I am so tired of feeling this way and being this way. It is eating me up inside and I don't know for how long I can go on like this.

"You're not much better at showing it" I don't let him finish that sentence because that was unfair of him.

"Wait a second, I have at least tried to talk to him and I don't know how many times I have told him that I am sorry" I point out with my finger up his chest, pinning him down to his chair. It must have looked comical from an outside perspective.