15: Something Sweet

Start from the beginning

"Everyone who's enjoying a sweet life had to first taste its bitterness," her mother always said. "You may not understand this now, but this apartment and your education are investments for the future."

As she grew older, Yingyue began to comprehend what her mother meant. That was why she threw herself at everything— be it her education or her career. Never mind she never got to do things people her age did or that exhaustion became her constant companion. All she wanted was to give her parents a better life, to ensure a great return on their investment. Unfortunately, the pursuit of material success consumed her. She lost sight of something priceless: time.

And here she was again wasting it.

There was nothing to gain from indulging in self-pity and wallowing in regrets. Getting out of this rut was never going to be easy, but if she gave up now, she'd be stuck here forever.

Sitting up, she took her phone from her pocket and opened the Wechat app. She'd logged out before the new year dreading the flood of messages from relatives, friends, and acquaintances. Enough of that.

"My parents didn't raise a coward," she said.

After entering her account details, she braced herself for the barrage of notifications.

Peach Blossom Yoga Group: 500+ new messages
Investment Education Group: 100+ new messages

Taking a deep breath, she opened the groups she managed and sent out a few virtual red envelops to appease the clients she had neglected. That resulted in a hundred more messages, which took a while to sort out. As the number of notifications dwindled down, her sense of accomplishment increased. It gave her the drive to reply to her aunt and cousins, who she had been avoiding. Interacting with family made her feel guilty. By the time the sun set, she only had one task left to do.

[February 5]
Wang Yiwen: Happy spring festival, dear!
Wang Yiwen: I wish you good health and more luck this year.
Wang Yiwen: Let's catch up after the holidays?

[February 12]
Hu Yingyue: Wenwen, happy lunar new year!
Hu Yingyue: I hope your holiday went well.
Hu Yingyue: This reply is so late :(
Hu Yingyue: Actually, I wanted to ask for a favor.

While she waited for her friend's reply, Yingyue got up, switched on the lights, and opened a takeaway app. Her stomach had been growling for the last hour or so. As soon as she paid for her order, she received a barrage of replies.

Wang Yiwen: Sure, of course!
Wang Yiwen: Is it related to my boss?
Wang Yiwen: Did he go see you again?
Wang Yiwen: He said he would ;)
Wang Yiwen: He also said you shut the door on his face hahaha
Wang Yiwen: Is that true? Hahaha

A fleeting smile landed on Yingyue's face. So many things have happened between Jihoon and her, these questions seemed to be about something from a distant past. Although come to think of it, it had been less than two weeks since she first met him.

Hu Yingyue: Yeah, he came back...
Hu Yingyue: And about the door, it's true :))
Hu Yingyue: But I didn't mean to do it! I shut it by reflex hahaha

Wang Yiwen: Hahaha You gotta tell me the story next time we meet ;)

Hu Yingyue: Sure! But it's nothing really special...

Wang Yiwen: I'll be the judge of that ;)
Wang Yiwen: So what's this favor you wanted to ask?

Yingyue's fingers hovered over phone.