Chapter 29

Kiara, Will you go to prom with me?

There was no name at the bottom.

Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe it was  for someone else but got misplaced. Nope it's for me. It has my locker number and name on the note.

The note in my hand was shaking. I was shaking.

Who wrote this? It definitely wasn't Carlos, judging by the look on his face. This had to be a joke. Who in their right mind would ask me to prom?

Neither of us say a word. We're standing at my locker staring at each other in shock.

"Kiara!" Liv shouts happily.

We come out of our trance.

"What's wrong? Did he ask you out?" She asks, worried at first then starts beaming.

I shake my head and hand her the note in my hand.

She reads it and gasps.

"Who do you think it is?" She whispers.

I shrug. "I don't know. I think it's a prank."

"Well if it is, it's not funny." Liv says.

I look at Carlos.

He's silent.

His face shows an emotion which I can't register.

He seems...mad? sad? hurt?

Nope.

He's never looked like this before.

"What are you going to do about it?" Liv says.

I shrug again, feeling lost.

"What can I do about it? If this person doesn't show himself, how am I supposed to know who it is? What if it's a prank? A joke? Just like everything else in my life? What if they had the wrong person? Who in their right mind would ask me to prom?!?" I say, nearly yelling now.

Carlos looks at me like I'm crazy. He stiffens.

Liv pulls my arm and drags me away. She stops once we reach the bathroom. Without looking around to see if we have company who may be eavesdropping, she starts speaking.

"What was that about?" Liv say angrily. "If this is a prank, I swear..."

"What do you mean?"

"Kiara! Stop being daft! You hurt Carlos! That note. We need to find out who wrote it." Liv hisses.

"Why? Why did I hurt Carlos?" I say, confused.

"It's so obvious! how can you not see it? Even a blind man would be able to tell." Liv says, walking away, leaving me confused as ever.

I'm now standing in the middle of the bathroom like a complete weirdo.

"Kiara? Are you okay?" A gentle voice asks from behind.

I turn around to find a girl I recognize as one of my classmates.

I think her name is Zuri?

She has dark curly hair and slightly dark complexion.

"Hi, You probably don't remember me, but I'm Layla. I'm in your English class." She says, smiling.

Oh so, it's Layla. Wow, I was far off.

"Of course I remember you. You're the one of the few people in the entire school except my friends who aren't rude to me. But why?" I ask, confused.

"Well, I remember when I first joined this school, people were mean to me too. I remember how badly I was treated until... until I started standing up for myself and I realized that I needed to establish a place in this school if I wanted to survive." She continues.

"Then, I saw you. You seemed like an average teen who just wanted to do well and get the Hell outta here. I really admired you. I never had the time to talk to you because people kept wanting to hang out with me. Our school isn't so bad. People will love you Kiara, trust me. Let me introduce you to them." She says, hopefully.

I smile, nodding my head, willing to venture out of my comfort zone.

"Ever since I joined this school, I've been a little scared to try new things." I say, truthfully.

"I really want to get to know you better Kiara. You're so sweet." She says as we walk out the door and to the cafeteria.

"Alright everyone listen up." Layla says when we reach her table.

Everyone is giving her attention.

Wow, I wish I had that much power.

"I have asked Kiara to sit with us today. Before you start complaining, listen up. Kiara is a great person. You all need to stop treating her so badly. She deserves as a good a life as we all do. Treat her like your friend. You guys will love her. just be nice to her. That's all I'm asking." Layla says, looking at everyone expectantly.

Even though she was addressing only our table, the entire cafeteria goes silent.

I gulp, nervously.

I look around the table and lock gazes with Carlos, who immediately looks away.

That was strange. Is he mad at me? Why?

A few moments pass by and just as I was about to give up and leave, people start nodding their heads and slowly, smiles spread across their faces.

I sigh, relieved.

"Well, there you have it." Layla says, beaming.

How on earth did she manage to do that?

Stunned, I sit down.

"Hi, I'm Kaleb. Did you get my note?" A cute, curly haired dark skinned boy says.

He looks strangely familiar.

I immediately recognize him as Carlos' best friend.

This is the first time I've actually talked to him.

Suddenly, I feel nervous.

"Yeah, did you have the right person?" I ask with hope in my heart.

"Yes." He says.

My stomach drops.

"So, it was a prank?" I say, sadly.

"What? No! Of course not! I meant every word I wrote. If you don't believe me, I don't mind asking you in front of the whole cafeteria." He says, grinning.

My eyes widen in shock.

"You really want to go to prom with me?" I ask.

"Everyone, I'd like your attention." He announces.

My eyes are about to pop out of their socket.

"Kaleb! No, I mean I believe you but why? Why do you want to go out with me all of a sudden?" I hiss.

Kaleb moves to the center of the cafeteria. I follow him to try and convince him not to do whatever he's about to do.

He gets down on one knee and says "Kiara, will you go to prom with me?"

My jaw drops open, horrified.

No one had ever asked me out, let alone in front of an audience.

Slowly I turn to look at the people staring at me.

All of their mouths have dropped open. I search the crowd frantically for a pair of eyes. I instantly lock eyes with them. I see, sadness, pain, horror and hurt in them.

A/N: I posted this chapter after about a month. It's coz my life suddenly freed up so now I'll be finishing the book. Don't forget to vote!