Chapter 10: The Badge and The Burden Part 2

Start from the beginning

"So wait Weiss tells my cousin to shut up, but does exactly what Ruby tells her to do?" Amelia asks with a quirked eyebrow looking at the girl in confusion. "Taking credit for stuff other people did or say, certainly sounds like a Schnee." Bruce said, glaring at the frosty female for her outburst from earlier.

"Bravo! Bra-vo! It appears we are indeed in the presence of a true Huntress-in-training!" Port said as Weiss stands up at attention from her exhausted position and Ruby continues to frown and Bruce continues glaring daggers at her. "I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today. Be sure to cover the assigned readings, and... stay vigilant! Class dismissed!" Port announces.

Weiss glares and turns away, walking hurriedly to the exit past her teammates. "Sheesh, what's with her?" Jaune asked. The remaining members of Team RWBY and all of Team BLAK look at each other with the same question.

Everyone watches as Ruby who then gets up from her seat and follows after Weiss. "Keep your word. Whenever you say you will do something and don't do it, you teach others that you cannot be trusted." Luke said.

The others then look at Luke with various expressions. "That sounds like something from a fortune cookie." Yang said. "I'm going to go make sure Ruby doesn't make her more angry than she already seems to be." Bruce said as he stood up and followed behind Ruby keeping his distance.

Bruce followed Ruby for a bit until he noticed the red hooded reaper stop moving making him realize she finally found Weiss. Not wanting to interrupt anything he decides to wait patiently until their conversation is done and intervene if it is necessary.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you being-?" Ruby asked until her teammate cut her off. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you? You're supposed to be a leader, and all you've been so far is a nuisance!" Weiss said, prompting Ruby to scoff. "What did I do?" Ruby asked.

Bruce sighs hearing this not go as he hoped it would with the girls still arguing. "Those two girls could mainly be described as literary foils in a story, wouldn't you agree?" Bruce heard a familiar someone say.

He turned around to see Ozpin behind him making him quick and silent 'yelp' in response while Ozpin took a sip from his mug of coffee. "How long have you stood there?" Bruce asked. "Relax yourself Kingsman, I came across you when I heard Ms Schnee and Ms Rose arguing. I don't have the required time to give them both a lecture so could you do me a favor and talk to Ms Schnee about maybe loosening up on her team leader while I talk with Ms Rose here?" Ozpin asked. "Uh-uh sure." Bruce said. "Delightful, I'd run now if you want any chance of finding your schoolmate." Ozpin said.

Bruce looked at him unsure what he was talking about as Ozpin pointed past him. Bruce turns around and sees Ruby looking down so he then understands that Weiss must have left. This prompts the young boy to run past Ruby in hopes to find Weiss. "Wait Bruce, where are you..." Ruby was yelling until she stopped when she saw Bruce not look back at him.

Seeing he wasn't looking back Ruby looks down dejected. Ozpin quizlet walks up right behind a surprised Ruby with a coffee in one hand and his cane in the other. "Hmm... Now that didn't seem to go very well." Ozpin said. Ruby looked doubtful of herself as she was even on the verge of tears. "Is she right? Did you make a mistake?" Ruby asked, making the headmaster laugh slightly. "That remains to be seen." Ozpin said.

"What do you mean?" Ruby asked. "I mean, it's only been one day. Ruby... I've made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet. But at this moment, I would not consider your appointment to leader to be one of them." Ozpin said. He then leans in closer so he can look more directly at Ruby. "Do you?" Ozpin asked.

He then stands up straight and continues talking. "Being a team leader isn't just a title you carry into battle, but a badge you wear constantly. If you're not always performing at your absolute best, then what reason do you give others to follow you?" Ozpin asked. Ruby looks thoughtful with Ozpin's words, then smiles at him.