Chapter 40: Under New Management

Start from the beginning

Jumping up and whirling around, Thalia saw a regal man with dark hair and piercing eyes dressed like an Ancient Greek king. "What do you want?" Thalia spat.

"Why, to offer you a choice," the King purred. "Help me, and I can protect your precious Perseus Jackson. You never know when something might. . . happen." he finished sinisterly.

"No," Thalia said darkly. "There's always another way. Besides, if there's anything I've ever learned about Percy, it's that he always pulls through. So, thanks, but no thanks."

The King scowled at Thalia in response. "Mark my words, Olympus will be mine with or without your help! King Ixion always prevails!"

The dream faded into blackness and Thalia awoke. Her heart was beating, and fear filled her mind. Thalia wasn't afraid of the coming conflict, however. No, she was afraid of losing Percy again. As she drifted back to sleep Thalia made up her mind. She loved Percy, and knew that she wanted to spend eternity with him.

#      #      #

The Hunt had yet to move campsites from the location where the traitorous Greeks had been captured, something uncommon for them. However, they had a reason for doing so. The morning after their raid word had come in from Camp Jupiter that the Greeks of Camp Half-Blood were on the move, and it was decided that it would be best to unite with the Romans before moving east. It would slow the Hunt down, but also ensure that everyone reached the destination safely. Eventually a group of demigods will get so large that most monsters steer well clear for fear of instant death by a thousand swords.

Currently, however, Hannah stood on the side of the highway concealed in the trees guarding the prisoners with a couple of her sisters. "My father will hear of this, and you'll regret it!" Sherman yelled, once again.

"I swear, I'm going to cut out that idiot's tongue," Hannah muttered under her breath before she turned to the Child of Ares. "Oh, I seriously doubt he'll ever know, since when did the gods care about us? Besides, he's probably too busy spending some 'quality time' with Aphrodite." In response Sherman shot the Daughter of Hecate a glare, who in turn fired back with a fiercer one of her own.

However, before the situation could escalate further a column of black SUVs and large vans could be seen coming up the road. "Right on time, like usual," Victoria said. As the Romans neared they slowed. Some turned to park on the small road leading to the Hunt's camp, while the rest pulled over onto the side of the road.

The guards shoved the bound prisoners out of the undergrowth and into the open as the Romans started oiling out of the cars and onto the ground before following themselves. "I believe these are yours," Hannah said to a Centurion who approached them, fourth cohort she was pretty sure.

"Thanks," the girl replied. "We'll take the traitors from here, send them back to New Rome where they can face a trial after the prophecy has been fulfilled." The Centurion then turned away with the prisoners and some legionnaires where she then took them to one of the vans. Hannah watched as the traitors were piled inside before the van and an SUV with an escort pulled away from the column and turned back to head back to Camp Jupiter. Looking back to the main grouping of cars Hannah saw Frank, Hazel, and Nico hop out.

The rest of the girls that had been with Hannah had already started heading back to camp, and she went to do the same. As she was walking on the path, a voice brought her out of her thoughts. "Ave!" Hazel greeted as she walked over to Hannah, a purple cape signifying her new position as Praetor billowing behind her and helmet under the arm.

"Hi, Hazel!" Hannah smiled back. "How's it going?"

"Could be better," Hazel laughed. "It is not fun to sit in a cramped car with all this armor."

"I'm sure. That really sounds uncomfortable," Hannah empathized. "I think I'll just stick to my jacket and jeans."

"Hey, it's good to see you, but can you point me towards Thalia?" Hazel asked. "Frank and I need to work out some plans with her."

"Oh, um, about that," Hannah started. "You'll need to find Atalanta. Thalia isn't exactly Lieutenant anymore. . ."

"What, why?" Hazel questioned.

"Why do you think?" Hannah said with a pointed look.

"You mean her and Percy?" Hazel trailed off.

"Yep," Hannah grinned. "And it's about time too."

"Well, thanks," Hazel said. "I'll see you later!" With that, Hazel then jogged ahead to find the Hunt's new Lieutenant.

#      #      #

Percy stood on the outskirts of the camp, now turned headquarters, watching as Romans mingled with hunters. No boys had been seriously injured thus far, which was an amazing accomplishment. "Hey, um, Percy, can I talk to you?" a nervous looking Thalia asked.

"Sure, what's up?" Percy asked as he turned his head to the beautiful girl standing next to him.

"Alone," Thalia said with a pointed look.

"Oh, um, ya," Percy replied as he took her hand and led them into the trees and away from all the commotion of the camp. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

#      #      #

Justin crept along the path. He was a few hours behind the Greeks, but luckily a group that large was insanely easy to follow. As best Justin could tell, he was somewhere in Pennsylvania and the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. It had been two days since the 'Camp Half-Blood Exodus' as Justin now called it, but he still had no idea where exactly the traitorous Greeks could be headed. Taking a break on a log, Justin brought out his canteen and took a sip. However, he didn't rest for long. Rome, and his Praetors, were depending on him, and he wouldn't let them down. Rising back to his aching feet Justin pushed onwards, he would find out what the traitorous swine were up to even if it killed him.

#      #      #

"So, what do you think?" Artemis asked the man sitting across from her.

"This is definitely a bold proposal," he pondered aloud. "You really care for my son that much?"

"Yes Uncle, I do. Percy is like a son to me."

"Then I approve!" Poseidon declared with a grin. "You have my blessing."

"Thank you Uncle," Artemis said with a sigh of relief. "I am forever grateful, I promise you won't regret this."

"I'm sure I won't," Poseidon said with one last smile before he flashed out. Artemis quickly followed, returning to her tent in the midst of the camp of her hunters.

A/N: Here we are, another chapter! War has begun, but the trick is finding the battlefield. King Ixion has attempted to seduce another one of our heroes, but is met once again with failure. Artemis and Thalia both seem to have something up there sleeve as well. . . .

Wish Atalanta good luck in her new position, and have a great day!