Percy Jackson's Unknown Companions - Excerpt

You all know the story of the greatest hero there ever was: Percy Jackson. Well, what if Percy had another friend and companion, one we had never heard of? Well, this is HIS side of the story, and he's finally ready to tell it.

Jacob Firth has lived a different life as a demigod. With gifts from his father, Jacob has learned to survive in the mortal world and he longs to stay at this "Camp" he has heard about. Unfortunately, his father has forbidden Jacob from going there until the time is right. For three years Jacob has waited, and it seems he will finally get his wish. Enter Percy Jackson, a powerful demigod who immediately flips Jacob's world upside down. Friends new and old will be found, enemies made, and loyalties twisted.

Chapter 1: My Side of the Story

I assume you know Percy Jackson. You know, Hero of Olympus, Son of Poseidon? Ya, he's a pretty cool dude. I should know, I was with him a lot of his adventures. My name is Jacob Firth, and I'm here to tell you my side of the story. Never heard of me? That's cool, I wouldn't expect any less. I did tell Percy to leave me out of many of his stories. I've always been a pretty shy and quiet person, never one for the spotlight. I prefer to stay in the background. But Percy, being the great friend he is, convinced me that it was time I tell my story. So here it goes, I guess.

It all started when we were 12. I went through the typical demigod stuff. You know, ADHD, dyslexia, all that jazz. My life though, that was a little different. And by a little different, I mean a lot different. You see, I discovered that I was a demigod when I was nine.

"That's not real weird," you may be thinking. "That happens all the time."

Well here's the thing. I didn't go to Camp Half-Blood, I stayed out in the world and defended myself. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was walking home from school where I lived in upstate New York, and a large man in a black overcoat was following me. This seemed to happen a lot, and there was always something weird about it. Like there was this one time where I was at the zoo with my mom when I was 5. We were by the rhinos, and inside with the rhinos was this massive, black dog. Of course, nobody believed me when I told them. Anyway, there was something weird about this guy following me. You see, he had one eye, right where two eyes should have been. Not wasting any time, I took off down the street. Unfortunately, the thing decided to follow me. Trying to lose it I cut down the side street. Dead end, crap.

I turned around to try and escape, but that monster was already there. I backed up, hoping to find a way to escape.

"Any last words little demigod?" It said

All I could manage was a little squeak of terror as it charged towards me. I cowered on the ground in a ball, trying to make myself as small as possible. Suddenly, there was a flash of light and a wave of golden dust washed over me. As I stood up there was a guy standing in front of me. I had no idea how old he was, but he had blonde hair, blue eyes, and was tanned like he was always out in the sun. I scrambled backwards to try and get away from this new man. For all I knew it could be a new monster that was much worse than the other one!

"Hey, hey, it's okay buddy. I'm here to help" the mystery man said.

"Who - who are you?" I stuttered.

"Why, you don't recognize me? I'm your dad, Jacob"

"What, no! Mom told me that he died before I was born!" I said as I started adjusting my glasses like I do when I'm nervous.

"It's time you found out the truth of who you are" he said as he sat down next to me. "My name is Apollo. And well, I'm a god"

I just stared at him in confusion.

"The Greek gods, which I am one of, have moved around with the heart of the west. Right now, we are here in America"

"That doesn't make any sense. If you're a god. . . . what does that make me?"

"You are a demigod, son. Half god and half mortal. In time I will lead you to a sanctuary for kids like you, but not yet. You are the trigger."

Thunder rumbled in the distance.

Dear ol' pops is getting impatient," Apollo said while shaking his head. "Here are some gifts to help you survive until the time is right" he said while pulling a watch and ring out of his pocket. "These are things every little boy should have, but they have special properties. The watch can become a shield like so" he said as he twisted an outer ring, making it expand into a glowing round shield about 3 feet in diameter with a stylized sun emblazoned in the middle. "Then just twist this ring on the inside to bring it back. This ring, it has many uses" Apollo stated as he showed me a black band with some silver writing spelling out 'Radium'. Somehow, I understood what it said, Sunbeam. "It's quite simple to use really," he said while slipping the ring on his finger. "Twist to the right, and you get a bow, twist to the left and you get a spear," my dad explained while demonstrating. "Once you are done just say 'reditus', this will turn it back into a ring. These should be enough to defend yourself until the time is right" after he said this he got up and walked away.

I just stared in shock, still trying to process what had just happened. As my dad reached the corner, he tuned and waved. After he rounded the corner I saw a flash of light again. 

I haven't seen my dad since that day. Fast forward three years and one move into Manhattan later, I find myself in Yancey Academy. For better or worse, my life changed that year. That was the year I met Percy Jackson.

A/N: This is my other story. Now, I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but maybe a few of you will be interested. This story is in the works, and quite short, but gives back stories to both Jacob Firth and Hannah Andle. Anyways, if you're interested I hope you enjoy, it can be found by this URL (hopefully) or by going to my profile!

https://www.wattpad.com/story/221839490-percy-jackson%27s-unknown-companions-the-lightning

Have a great day!

#ShamelessSelfPromotion