PROLOGUE

Chapter 00;
Trick or Treat

|~[𝖙.𝖙]~|

  It was a sullen and cloudy Halloween night. A hazy fog blanketed every yard in the neighborhood, containing a sense of mystery beneath it. The weather was crisp and invigorating to those who enjoyed the spooky season.

  Anywhere you went, you would hear kids screaming in both joy and fear. Doorbells were rung and bowls of candy were raided despite the 'take one' sign.

  A gloomy state fell upon any adult who sat inside, hoping to get through the best part of the movie before another group of children laughed outside their door.

  Kang Taehyun just-so-happened to be one of those adults. Except, he wasn't an adult. He was simply a sixteen-year-old boy who was forced to stay home on Halloween.

  His parents were out at a meeting for their job and asked him to hand out candy to the neighbors. Although he protested, stating that there was no need since there were plenty of other houses handing out candy, they opposed.

  Truthfully, he was both relieved and irritated because of this. He enjoyed staying in and watching Halloween movies while eating through a bucket of candy, but he also enjoyed going out and spending his teenage years having fun.

  At that moment, there was a Halloween party going on at his friend's expensive mansion. Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed to go anywhere. He wasn't even sure how the other kids were allowed to go since it was a Sunday night.

  It had been ever since the week before that he had been hoping he could dress up in his stupid vampire costume, go to the stupid party, and watch his friends get wasted so they could run around and do stupid things. But in reality, he ended up bathing in a pile of candy wrappers on his couch.

  Every once in a while, and seemingly only at the best parts of Halloweentown, the doorbell would ring. Of course, he would pause it if he truly wanted to, but he was too lazy.

  At one point, he almost turned off the porch light so he could relax in peace, but when he arrived at the door to do so, someone was about to knock. Taehyun sighed, grabbing the bowl of half-eaten candy and opening the door.

  Standing on the porch, clad in a teddy bear onesie, was a boy around his age. He had dark, fluffy hair and big, deep brown eyes. The boy held out a plain white pillowcase, smiling adorably.

  "Trick or Treat!" He pronounced slurringly; a hint of innocence in his lighthearted tone. Taehyun nearly laughed. Unable to hold back from commenting, the blonde chuckled, "aren't you a little old to be out trick-or-treating?"

  After merely one question, the boy's smile faded. He started sniffling and his eyes turned red. Startled, Taehyun shook his hands in front of him, "no, uh, I- I didn't mean to offend you! You're really never too old to..."

  The boy cut him off with a sob, loud enough to alert passing neighbors. He knelt to the ground with his hands covering his face. Taehyun was completely shocked.

  Suddenly, an intimidating boy came out from behind the teddy bear one. The stranger's height towered over his own. He had a glower on his face, his arms crossed.

  At once, everything felt awkward for Taehyun. Two boys were on the ground; one crying his eyes out while the other attempted to soothe him. People glanced over at them as they walked by, quickly speeding up their paces.

  "Why would you say that to him?" The older boy asked, glaring at him. Taehyun internally felt like biting back with a sharp remark, but he knew it was inappropriate at that moment in time.