Chapter 8

Clyde and Joe Bang worked at the woodshop, hunched over a low table as they cut and measured wood. Clyde was trying to stay as civilized and polite as possible, trying to stay upbeat and happy as he thought about spending the afternoon with you later, but working alongside someone like Joe Bang made that pretty hard. He was just so abrasive.

Clyde had already had to deal with Joe Bang's insistent questioning about Mellie's measurements which had made Clyde's blood boil. If anyone knew their cars and trucks, it was Mellie Logan. Who was Joe Bang thinking he was, questioning her? All he knew was bombs and explosives and being in trouble. Clyde had reassured Joe Bang that Mellie knew her stuff but the look that Bang had shot him back seemed to indicate he wasn't too convinced.

Clyde had to remind himself to calm down and take deep breaths so he didn't just climb over the table and throttle the man. That wasn't the type of guy he was, but damn Joe Bang made him a little closer to that type of man every second they spent together.

Clyde could stand for a lot, especially when it came to people making comments about him, but what he couldn't stand for was someone making fun of or saying anything bad about his family or his friends. "Loyal to a fault" was what the people of Boone County said about the Logan family, and it was especially so with Clyde.

Heck, just a few weeks ago someone had been harassing him at the bar about his prosthetic. Calling him a possible viral sensation if he were ever to bartend on camera, making Clyde perform for him and asking if he would do so again so he could be filmed. Jimmy hadn't taken kindly to that. Didn't like people implying Clyde was a circus show. So he had said so, which had ultimately led to a fight between Jimmy and the antagonizer.

While Clyde had been fine just being commented on by himself (he didn't like it but he could handle it), Clyde sure didn't like it when Jimmy had gotten involved. Especially with his hip as bad as it was. Jimmy didn't need anymore problems than he already had.

So, Clyde had taken it upon himself to sneak outside among all the ruckus and use a good old fashioned bottle of alcohol, a rag, and a light to set the man's car on fire. And it had been more than satisfying to watch that thing burn - especially so when Jimmy threw the man's phone in the wreckage as well. Clyde chuckled to himself as he recalled the incident, glad that they hadn't been caught for that.

That surely would have earned him more than just three months in jail and Clyde was sure if that was the reason he had told you he was incarcerated the other day that you wouldn't have thought as kindly about him afterwards. Or maybe you would. Didn't seem like you stood for bullies all too much, either. You seemed like a good and honest woman. Maybe one day Clyde would tell you the story and you could laugh about it. He imagined you would try to hide your smile as you chastised him.

Clyde could almost picture you muttering under your breath about the Logan family men and their trouble-making as you giggled with Mellie. Clyde would like that, he thought. You and Mellie getting along together, laughing about the Logan boys. Mellie would make you comfortable. Mellie made everyone comfortable, the social butterfly that she was.

"You working over at that library, boy?" Clyde's sweet thoughts were ruined by the invasive and grating voice of Joe Bang. Clyde tried not to roll his eyes. Clyde had almost forgotten he was working alongside Joe Bang, and had been enjoying the silence so he could daydream.

Clyde glowered over at Bang, his eyes hard and narrowed. "Yes?"

"You seen that librarian, then," Bang continued, licking his lips. "She's mighty fine, ain't she?"

"I suppose," Clyde answered, attempting to be measured in his response and not give away how angry he was that Joe Bang was even mentioning you. Clyde wasn't sure Bang read all that much and, to be frank, he was a little surprised he had even realized there was a library in the prison - Joe Bang seemed more like the tv and casual fighting type of man. "What're you getting at?"

"Think I should try my luck and get a job there, too? Gets mighty lonely in prison, you know."

Clyde's hold tightened where he was gripping the edge of the table, the knuckles of his hands growing white. "I don't think they're hiring any more," Clyde spat out, trying to not shake with anger.

Joe Bang gave the tall, muscular man before him a once over and smirked. He knew the Logan family was that respectful Southern type, but this seemed like a more severe reaction than he had expected. Maybe little Clyde Logan had himself a crush. Jail was quite boring, maybe good ol' Joe Bang would have himself some fun before this heist of theirs. Things were stressful and few things eased Joe Bang's stress much like messing with good folk.

"You sure 'bout that?" Bang asked nonchalantly as he continued to pencil in measurements on the wood so he could make more cuts.

Clyde hummed in response, feeling like if he said anything he might actually jump over and brawl with the man this time. He didn't much feel like being put in solitary or having some of his privileges revoked, especially because that would mean he couldn't be with you - but, damn was it tempting right now. Clyde knew that Joe Bang was trying to get a rise out of him, but Clyde couldn't help being upset when the bleach blonde idiot in front of him was implying what he was.

Thankfully, they worked quietly the rest of the time, allowing Clyde time to compose himself before his shift at the library. He was sure that the likes of you wouldn't be swayed by someone like Joe Bang, but Clyde had a history of being insecure around women he liked. It just seemed that in high school most women had picked literally anyone else before they even considered Clyde, and it had done a number on his confidence.

Sure, he had been lanky and tall and just as awkward and quiet back then, but Clyde was intelligent and kind and sometimes he wasn't sure why women hadn't spared him a second glance. Part of it had been his brother Jimmy. Jimmy had been a big high school football star, so good that the whole county was sure he'd be off to the NFL. Back then it seemed like if a girl took interest in Clyde it was to get to Jimmy. Not that Jimmy paid those girls any mind. Jimmy never liked that some girls would use Clyde to get to him. He was a good older brother like that.

Since then, Clyde had filled out from his time in the army and years of working hard on his health and his body. It helped to take out some of his frustrations out on the concrete when he ran or on his equipment when he worked out, and it just so happened that that specific coping mechanism had the added advantage of gaining him several pounds of muscle.

And it wasn't that Clyde necessarily thought he was ugly - and Mellie seemed to hint that some of the women who frequented the Duck Tape bar didn't find him half bad, either - but Clyde was never good at realizing someone was flirting with him when they were and, to be honest, he wasn't much interested in the ladies that seemingly fawned over him. He didn't want someone who had barely spared him a second glance in high school all of a sudden coming onto him because he'd grown up.

Clyde knew some men would have loved the attention but it just made Clyde uncomfortable. He just wanted someone he could spend quiet evenings reading at home with, someone he could hold while it rained outside and they caught up on their favorite shows. None of the women who openly pursued him gave him the impression that they would want that same nice quiet lifestyle filled with late night eye opening conversations or witty goodhearted banter. Clyde needed an emotional and intellectual connection, not just a physical one.

He couldn't help but let his thoughts drift back to you. You were smart, funny, and kind, and you had even hinted that you were enjoying the quiet of Monroe after so much time in the city. If Clyde didn't know any better he would have thought it was fate that he ran into someone like you.

Every day since seeing you while he had been visiting Joe Bang he had prayed to anyone who listened to please let the Logan family curse spare him this one time. Clyde didn't even have you yet but he already felt like if he lost you he would lose his mind. You were already so important to him and you never failed to brighten his day, much like his own personal sun.

In fact, if he had to describe it, Clyde would say he felt like he was a sunflower just moving towards the sun every time he was around you - unable to stop himself from twisting and turning every which way until he could face you. And if a sunflower ever went without its sun? Well, that wouldn't fare too well for it, now would it?