Prolouge: Run

Just a quick house keeping authors note! I do not allow any form of copying! This is entirely my work and I put a lot of effort into this so please don't take any of it! Feel free to leave constructive comments but don't be out right mean. If you don't like it then just leave! Thankyou and I hope you enjoy!!

This is unedited but I will be going through and editing at a later time. Please be patient with me and feel free to give me feedback!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He walked past, fingers trailing along the sill, marring the thick layer of dust coating the surface. His lungs shredding as he heaved in the unclean air. He would never see this again he knew. For this world was gone. And he was alone to face all that is left.

He still remembered the explosions. Making his ears ring. He felt the drip on his shoulder as blood leaked out his ears, staining his grey shirt red. But it soon materialized into a clear substance. Blending and diluting the blood. His ear, no longer the source.

Slowly dragging his eyes up towards the ceiling a vision of those eyes that had been haunting his every step. Following him like an ever-nearing shadow. Crouched, waiting to pounce.

His tawny eyes followed the cracks in the wall. Up and up. His whole body stilled. Ready to take flight at the first sign of danger. Heart pounding, his eyes reached where the wall and ceiling met. Trailing the rafters, Ice blue eyes met his own. He had no words for what his eyes beheld. Only felt the scream clawing up his throat. Aching to get out.

His feet, which had been stuck into place, finally found the ability to move. Sprinting, he ran faster than he'd thought was humanly possible. His breath felt like glass in his destroyed lungs. But would it be enough to escape his nightmare?

Feet pounding, it was only a matter of time before he tripped or his body gave out. He heard the shattering of glass as the beast roared out of the slider door of the place he had once called home. He reached the tall cornfields.

Corn. He'd always hated it. It had killed his father, this farm. But maybe. Just maybe he could reach the river and be safe. Corn whipped him. Grabbing and tearing at his body. He skidded around the corner and set off again. Slower.

He was flagging. Too soon. He heard the creature as it glided smoothly around the corner with little hindrance to its chase. One more corner he told himself. Then 40 steps until the river rock, where he would evidently have to slow his pace. All things he had calculated this morning.

He let out a choked sob as he slid around the last corner. So close. He could taste freedom and safety.

The beast seemed to pause at the sound and smell of the river that lay outstretched before him. His feet hit the uneven rocks. Checking back his speed he risked a look over his shoulder. He could've sworn he saw a human smile on that purely lupine body.

Crashing into the shallows he returned to his feverish run. He waded clawing at the water as it chilled his very bones and soul. The sun was slipping behind the distant mountains and he knew that it would be a cold night tonight. But better than the death looming at his bank with a cocked head. As if this was a game to it. And it was not pleased to lose its prey.

He reached the bank and did not wait for the creature's rage at his narrow escape. He hurtled into the woods. But as he reached the gnarled forest edge, he heard a sound that made his blood run cold.

The creature was braving the frigid waters. Not giving up the hunt as that bastard he'd given his last loaf of bread to had assured him in payment. The only consolation was that the man had been ripped into bloody ribbons the next morning and he had reclaimed three-quarters of the loaf.

The beast reached the bank far quicker than he had. He could only watch frozen by fear as it gnashed its teeth and launched for him. He was flung back against the tree standing behind him. His head cracking against the ancient trunk. Blood rushed from his legs where deep valleys had been gauged into his skin by the beast's talons.

He never expected the feeling. Sharp, pain like no other crept up his legs leaving a trail of burning fire. Heaving, his chest rose and fell, lungs so tired, as his body lay in ribbons before him. The beast crept closer. He knew this was his end, but he never thought he would go like this.

Then the world went black.