a walk to remember

Before heading back home, the group decided to spend another two days of rest and recreation. Wave gave everyone a free pass to do whatever they want. Nicky and Neen decided to visit the usual Vigan City tourist spots. Tay and New, expectedly did a food trip. They decided to stroll Calle Crisologo, a popular tourism spot known for its lined up ancestral houses reminiscent of old Spanish time. At night, the place transforms to a more exciting adventure of food experience. The mere idea of dine hopping was more than enough to keep the both of them all perked up. It was a gastronomic night combined with spicy bickering here and there, and an umami of genuine laughter filling up the Vigan air.

Ei Te, you said you've been here a number of times, what do you like about this place? New asks fondly as he takes a big bite of his empanada - an orange rice dough filled with shredded green papaya, Vigan longganisa, and egg, deep fried to perfection (on his right hand), and slurps his bagnet ice cream (on his left hand).

Duh New, what's not to like about this place? He frowns as he watches New and his food adventure, which he's so used to already. Everything is just pure lovely here. Don't you feel it? There's always that different kind of joy in places that depicts old. The houses, the cobblestones, the kalesas (a two-wheeled horse-drawn carriage), everything. Tay explains as if he is talking about a very delicate art.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. There's something about the old... yeah, so true, New continues to slurp on his ice cream. It's my first time here, and I'm really glad I get to walk this street, (slurp, slurp)... on this lovely night... (slurp), with you... New releases the words spontaneously, and looks at Tay with his child-like smile.

Tay, as usual, was caught off guard and began to feel his cherry tomato cheeks.

New chuckles, finishes his ice cream, and takes Tay's hand. You're cute when you're caught off guard. Do you know that? And I think you should know...that I like seeing you caught off guard, New gazes at the night sky smiling.

Tay felt his cheeks burning even more but sent a gentle squeeze as he held onto New's hand. A few seconds of silence followed. Ei New, can I now name the reward I'd like to ask from the guessing game?

Ohoh, you really won't let a chance of winning pass huh? Okay, what is it? Is it a kiss? New says playfully.

No!! Tay replies shyly. Hmm, Mama and Muk are paying a visit on month end.... and ... they specifically requested that they meet you.

New turns to Tay, cupped his face in his hands, and blurted, Te, is this meet the mom and the sister time? New asks excitedly.

Thitipoom!! I'm serious!

New chuckles, who said I'm not? I would love to meet them Te. So, does this mean, you talk to them about me?

Tay took New's hand as they continued to walk. Don't get too excited and don't assume too much.

Aw! So, you don't tell them about me? That made me sad, New pretends to sulk.

Oh, come on. Don't take it that way. It's just that...

Hey, it's okay. New sounded assuring. I totally understand. I was just teasing you.

Are you mad or something? Did I really make you sad? Tay asks, frowning.

I said I'm kidding Te. Forget it okay. But really, I am excited to meet them. I would love to meet them, New beams at Tay, and steal a quick kiss on the cheek.

Tay did not argue. He looks at New and sends a gentle smile as he squeezes his hand tighter. The old vibe of the preserved streets and the gentle scent of the night once again created some stirrings in his heart. Stirrings that he has not fully embraced but honestly gives him unexplainable joy.