Chapter 24

Byun Baekhyun left the parking area, striding towards the elevator. In the midst of this movement, an unfamiliar message illuminated their phone screen. The sender introduced themselves as Sooyoung, instructing Baekhyun to wait outside and expressing a desire for a conversation. The text read: "Stay outside when you got here. Let's talk. This is Sooyoung. Message me."

Reading the message, Baekhyun's brows furrowed as they contemplated its implications. Was this going to lead to a confrontation? Deciding to respond, Baekhyun typed, "I'm on my way," before sliding their phone into their pocket.

Exiting the elevator onto the designated floor, Baekhyun's gaze fell upon a tall, feminine figure nearby. Stepping closer, they addressed the person, inquiring about the well-being of someone named Taeyeon. The reply indicated that Taeyeon was still asleep.

Aware of the surveillance cameras in the vicinity, Sooyoung sought a private space for their conversation. Baekhyun considered the request and then offered a solution: "What is it you wanna talk about noona?" they asked formally, to which Sooyoung responded, "Don't mind the CCTV, it's not working anymore."

Baekhyun observed, understanding that while the camera was presently malfunctioning, it would likely be repaired in due course.

"It's about Taeyeon." Baekhyun's reaction carried a bittersweet undertone.

Byun Baekhyun directed his attention to the woman before him, a quizzical eyebrow arching in response to her statement. "What about her?" he inquired, his tone laced with curiosity.

Sooyoung's response carried a directness that momentarily stilled his words. "I know you still love her. We heard it clear," she asserted, a declaration that hung in the air.

Baekhyun's gaze averted, his silence acting as a barrier against what he might hear. He didn't wish to listen if her intention was to tell him to distance himself from Taeyeon.

A wry smile graced Sooyoung's lips. "Of course I know, I'm Choi Sooyoung. So you do... It's pretty obvious, isn't it?" Her words held a hint of conviction.

The situation escalated, Sooyoung's tone shedding any hint of euphemism. "I won't use sugar-coated words anymore. Let me get straight to the point, stay away from her," she asserted firmly.

Baekhyun's shoulders initially tensed, his gaze locking onto hers with a scowl and furrowed brows. However, the tension soon eased as he sighed and gazed at her, his expression shifting.

"I... I will-- I just, she called and asked for help. She's in trouble, so I had no choice but to--" he stammered, offering an explanation, a tinge of defensiveness in his voice.

Sooyoung's words took a surprising turn, causing his eyes to widen in disbelief. "Stay away from her and date me," she stated bluntly.

Baekhyun's reaction was one of astonishment. The notion of dating Sooyoung had caught him off guard, and he struggled to find words. "I-I'm sorry?" he stuttered, his voice betraying his perplexity.

A sense of relief washed over him as Sooyoung burst into laughter. Her words broke the tension, and she continued, "I'm just kidding, child. What the-- don't tell me you believed it? Why would I date you? You're not my type, and I already have a boyfriend," she chuckled, her amusement evident.

Baekhyun's breathing returned to a steady rhythm as her words settled in. He exhaled audibly, relieved that the situation wasn't as serious as he had briefly perceived.

"Phew..." he uttered softly to himself, a mixture of emotions coursing through him. The weight of the conversation lifted, leaving him with a renewed sense of ease.